How do I get this fish hook out of my dogs leg??

There is a big fish hook stuck in my dogs back leg and it is around the joint area....It is stuck and I don't want to take her to the vet, does anybody know how to get it out? Every time I try to get it she keeps kicking me, so it is hard to do. Please…

There is a big fish hook stuck in my dogs back leg and it is around the joint area....It is stuck and I don't want to take her to the vet, does anybody know how to get it out? Every time I try to get it she keeps kicking me, so it is hard to do. Please…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get this fish hook out of my dogs leg??...

• How do I get this fish hook out of my dogs leg??

How do I get this fish hook out of my dogs leg?? General Dog Discussions
      There is a big fish hook stuck in my dogs back leg and it is around the joint area....It is stuck and I don't want to take her to the vet, does anybody know how to get it out? Every time I try to get it she keeps kicking me, so it is hard to do. Please answer soon!That was really mean of most of you.! I am only 13 and I love my dog more than any other dog!! She is SO SWEET and I felt really bad for her! SO y'all should be all over me for not takeing her to a vet! We were going to go to a vet but I cousin got it out so we didn' have to pay money! So almost all of you need to be more considerit to other people even if you don't know them!! But for thoes people that tried to help and didn't say anything mean....thank you!!That was really mean of most of you.! I am only 13 and I love my dog more than any other dog!! She is SO SWEET and I felt really bad for her! SO y'all should be all over me for not takeing her to a vet! We were going to go to a vet but my cousin got it out so we didn' have to pay money! So almost all of you need to be more considerit to other people even if you don't know them!! But for thoes people that tried to help and didn't say anything mean....thank you!!

How do I get this fish hook out of my dogs leg?? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, you could be a good pet owner and go to the vet. Even if you get it out yourself, it will likely get infected. If you insist on doing this without the help of a vet, you need to get a wire cutter and cut it. You can't just pull out a fish hook because of the barbed end. Then, heaven help you when the infection sets in.

• If it was just some skin, I would explain to you what to do. "Stuck in the joint??!??" No way am I giving you a 'home remedy.'I'll bet that really hurts. Time for the vet.

• Take it to the vet. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but pulling it out yourself could cause more injury to her leg-- not to mention the fact that it is likely to be really painful to her (hence why she's kicking you!) Leaving it in or taking it out yourself both increase her risk of a serious infection, and she could get really sick. Please get her the help she needs.

• I really hate these kinds of questions. You know you need to go to the vet. There are no magic answers here. If you had a child would you not take it to the vet? Would you remove it yourself?

• Do you know what a barb is? If it's stuck in the muscle or cartelidge , you're going to make a major mess of it if you try to do this yourself. She could lose the whole leg to infection.Take the dog to the vet!

• I think the best answer is the vet but since you don't want to do that I would get someone to help you. Your the dogs owner so your going to try and not hurt the dog a friend might have an easier time getting it out. Also, the dog won't be so mad at you and you can comfort them when its all over. Good luck

• You MUST get her to a vet. The longer it is in, the more likely an infection will set in. She will ned to be properly restrained and given anitbiotics. The vet may even need to sedate her to remove it. It is most likely barbed, which means it has sharp points to keep the fish on the hook, which also means taking it out improperly will tear her flesh, and cause her even more pain. She will bite if in enough pain. Let the vet do it.

• Why do people get pets, then refuse to get them care when they need it? Yes, she needs the Vet. This is common sense!I'm surprised she hasn't bit you yet, she must be in tremendous pain. In fact I hope she does bite you, you need something done to you.

• For what ever reason, you should consult a vet... Especially this, Do you know, the amount of bacteria and germs on that hook, could infect her leg and blood stream. She could end up with staph. infection. I feel she should have gone to the vet as soon as it happened and that 's why I'm not telling you how to get the hook out. If your willing to put your dogs life on the line why should I help you out of your own stupidity.

• The best thing to do is push the barb completely through then cut off the eye end and pull it out. If that isn't possible without hitting a bone you can back it out. Put a piece of string around the shank where it enters the skin. Pull gently outward from the curve and guide the hook out in reverse. The barb is on the inside of the curve so pulling outward prevents the barb from tearing the flesh as much. Talk very calmly to your dog while doing this and it will relax him a little more if he understands you are trying to help him.

• Well...like everyone else says, get it to a Vet...probably going to need anastetia at the very least as in order to get it out, you have to push the barb all the way through the skin so the barb comes through, then you cut the barb off, and can remove the rest of the hook...the problem is this is going to HURT THE DOG, thus the dog may jump, pull, bite or otherwise not be cooperative...not to mention the infection later (almost guaranteed)Good luck, to you and the dogOh and wow...to the previous post...you were a vet's assistant and you suggest just pulling the hook out? Are you some sort of psycho???

• You are going to have to take your dog to the vet regardless of what you want to do. Fish hooks have a spur on them, and by you just pulling it out can cause way more problems than just the hook being in there. Not to count all of the germs that are on the hook. By not taking him/her to the vet is a just waiting for an infection that could possibly kill your dog. I can guarantee you that if it gets infected it is going to cost you way more to take him/her to the vet to get that cleared up, than taking him/her to have the hook removed.