is there something wrong with my dog?

i have an airedale terrier, about 85 pounds, i'd say around 9 years old and i think that he might be sick!i just took him for a walk and he was foaming from the mouth and it was hanging down and it all fell in the street, and he hasn't really been…

i have an airedale terrier, about 85 pounds, i'd say around 9 years old and i think that he might be sick!i just took him for a walk and he was foaming from the mouth and it was hanging down and it all fell in the street, and he hasn't really been…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : is there something wrong with my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• is there something wrong with my dog?

is there something wrong with my dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have an airedale terrier, about 85 pounds, i'd say around 9 years old and i think that he might be sick!i just took him for a walk and he was foaming from the mouth and it was hanging down and it all fell in the street, and he hasn't really been eating.he's had all his shots and what not, he is fixed, and everything.i was just thinking maybe, it was the heat, because i do live in a place where it is hot, and he has a lot of fur.what do you think?like instead of eating food, he'll just eat grass, when he goes outside.

is there something wrong with my dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If he's had all his shots, I doubt it is rabies. It is possible, but it is more likely to be the heat. Try taking him for walks early in the morning or in the evening, when the sun's rays aren't so strong. Also, make sure he ALWAYS has fresh, cold water. And make sure he has lots if you are leaving him alone. Also, try getting him groomed more often during the summertime, which will help get rid of excess fur or unneccessary fur that could have been there from winter.If, though, you are still concerned or if the foaming of the mouth continues, go see a vet. It's better to be safe than sorry.Good luck and I hope I helped! :)

• Excessive drooling can indicate that he's running a temperature, but it could just be that he's too hot.If he shows any other signs of not being well, and the drooling doesn't stop once he's inside in the shade and has cooled off, then I would give the vet a ring and ask their advise.

• No, your dog does not have rabies. It could be the heat causing him not to eat and foam at the mouth. Take him into the AC, and let him get cool and quiet. If he stops eating for more than two days, and doesn't drink water, it's time to call the vet.

• He could have possibly eaten something that did not agree with his stomach. You might check where you keep chemicals or certain foods to see if anything is missing or tampered with.

• if he's had all his shots i would say it's safe to assume it was from the heat. either walk him earlie in the a.m. or late in the p.m. also if u live in a warm climate like texas any dog with a lot of hair should be clipped. it is more comfortable for them. he could have been close to having a heat stroke. Take him to the vet and have him checked. if the foaming wasn't from the heat he could have congestive heart failure. but you need to have him ckd. by your vet to rule out health issues. Good Luck.