I want to adopt a dog, any tips or things I need to look for?

Ok. So I totally want to help an animal about to be gassed. But I do not want a dying animal. Can I find puppies possibly? I would like a big terrier or a rotweiler.

Ok. So I totally want to help an animal about to be gassed. But I do not want a dying animal. Can I find puppies possibly? I would like a big terrier or a rotweiler....
    Dog Breed Discussions : I want to adopt a dog, any tips or things I need to look for?...

• I want to adopt a dog, any tips or things I need to look for?

I want to adopt a dog, any tips or things I need to look for? Dog Breed Discussions
      Ok. So I totally want to help an animal about to be gassed. But I do not want a dying animal. Can I find puppies possibly? I would like a big terrier or a rotweiler.

I want to adopt a dog, any tips or things I need to look for? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There are sometimes puppies in rescues, but not often.Most dogs in shelters are not dying. They are simply overcrowded and they keep each dog a certain number of days before putting it to sleep. Most of the dogs are young, healthy, friendly animals, but there are simply not enough homes for them.It's easy to assess a dog's general health. The shelter should provide information about vaccines, heart worm tests, etc. Check the dog's eyes, ears, and teeth. Ask for the dog's age. If he's young, his eyes and ears are clean, his teeth look fairly good, and there are no obvious injuries or deformities, odds are good he's perfectly healthy. Most shelters also do temperment testing to make sure the dog does well with families, other animals, etc. Make sure you bring all members of your family to meet the dog and assure that everyone likes him and he likes everyone. Another option is to search online for breed rescues. Each pure breed has rescue organizations, so you could look for a Rottie or Airedale/Staffy/Large Terrier type through a rescue as well.Good luck!

• Well you have yto make sure you have the money to buy the dog and all of its needs and wants. so when you buy a dog you will need some kind of cage or kennel, food, food dish, water dish, some toys, and blankets for the cage or kennel.when you buy food you have to stick with one brand so if you buy Pedigree food then you have to stay with Pedigree all its life. if it is a puppy then buy PUPPY food. if you were to buy pedigree then you would have to buy pedigree puppy not pedigree dog or whatever it is.if its a puppy heres what you need to know:1. if it goes to the bathroom in your house and noy the backyard thats normal but how to stop it is easy. if it goes to the bathroom in your home then you rub its nose in it and put it outside because eventually itll learn2. if your puppy gets to the chewing stage (and it will) then that is the time to buy it toys instead of letting it rip up your shoe.i think thats enough to say.good luck with your new dog!!

• Several places to check. Start with your local animal shelter. They have 2 sets of animals, those that are sick/injured/poor temperments, and those ready for adoption. Most shelters will not give you a dog in the first group, so you do not have to worry about getting a sick/dying animal. Shelters almost always have puppies, you just have to keep going each week until you see one that appeals to you. Pit bulls, rotties, labs and chows seem to be some of the most common breeds there.Also check Petfinder.com. These dogs are with rescue groups. At first, you may not think you are saving a life by adopting from a rescue group. But if you adopt a dog from these groups, that opens up a space for them to take another dog from a shelter and give it a chance at a new life. So you will still be saving a life.Finally, check Craig's List. Many people list their dogs on there as a last resort before taking them to the pound. So if you adopt an animal from there you are likely saving its life as well.Good luck!

• The first thing you should know is that if you want a rescue it will most likely be a mix breed. Second, look at your lifestyle. If you have a lot of time and energy to devote to your dog then you can get a dog like a terrier or Rottie who need a lot of attention. Be sure your home is apt for a dog, that means a fenced in yard, and that you can afford any medical expenses.Most shelters regularly check the health of their animals. However, many animal controls do not due to budget and being over crowded. Look for a full coat, good pigment in mouth and bright eyes. Be aware, though, that a dog can appear healthy and have a major problem.Many dog pounds have puppies but they mostly have dogs. It is the dogs who are in most need of a home.

• Being a good samaritin is awesome. But be sure you are up for the task. Rescues can have a lot of baggage and need a lot of work to help them to be good dogs and start a new life after loosing a home. So don't be discouraged if you are turned down for a particular dog. Rescue is supposed to first consider the dog's needs, then the perspective adoptor.Be sure you are ready for the needs that your new dog will have, like exercise or a need to go to classes to learn how to be a good dog. Also ask a lot of questions about any dogs you might think of adopting to learn the traumas they have had (if known) because you might not want to add a fear biter to a home with kids. Dogs lose their homes for a variety of reasons, many because they never had any rules and are out of control, or where removed due to neglect or abuse. Make sure you ask a lot of questions to learn everything about a dog and see if you are the right forever home for them.Thanks for supporting rescue. Best Wishes.