Is it okay to feed a grown dog a chicken bone?

Some say bones are not good for dogs but mine love them.

Some say bones are not good for dogs but mine love them....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it okay to feed a grown dog a chicken bone?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it okay to feed a grown dog a chicken bone?

Is it okay to feed a grown dog a chicken bone? General Dog Discussions
      Some say bones are not good for dogs but mine love them.

Is it okay to feed a grown dog a chicken bone? General Dog Discussions
    • Cooked bones are not ok for dogs. When you cook the bone it drys it out and can splinter when the dog chews on it. The dog could choke or get pieces stuck in their throat.Raw chicken wings or pieces of meat are fine...the composition of the bone is different because it has not been cooked.

• chicken bones are too thin and brittle for dogs...they end up crunching them and swallowing pieces of bone that can be lodged in the throat or intestines.......I only give my dog beef bones, and only the larger ones...

• absolutely not. With the bone, the dog can swallow it and choke. Rawhide bones are sold at any Hannafords or any major grocery store, dogs love those, they smell but dogs will enjoy them. Ever seen pig ears?Hardware store or any grocery store sells them, your dogs will love them.

• No, it's not a good idea to feed your dog chicken bones. Chicken bones are softer than beef bones and can splinter in your dog's stomach or throat. Beef bones are harder and much safer. You can get good sized beef bones in the meat section at the grocery store for just a dollar or two.

• I have never fed my dog a chicken bone.Chicken bones can splinter and get stuck in a dogs throat. Can cut their gums do many things to them. It may not have happened yet but it will eventually. Pork chop bones are fine ,rib bones anything but chicken. I feed my dog the chicken I take it off the bone.

• Chicken bones are fine as long as they are NOT cooked. I feed all of my dogs a BARF (biologically assessed raw food) diet and they eat raw chicken backs, necks, and any other parts that I can get at a good price. We've never had any problems with the raw meaty bones and our dogs. I also weened my first litter on ground turkey and chicken and by 7 weeks old all the pups were eating whole chicken wings. Never had any problems.

• Actually, small amounts of chicken bones won't hurt the dog. They break up easily and are good for them. It is the steak bones, and pork chop bones that can splinter and cause a rupture in a dog. If your dog food has "chicken by products" in it, some of this is chicken bone

• As long as it doesn't have any sharp edges or will break easily into small enough fragments to cut their throats or lodge in their throats. If a bone with a Sharp edge does get into their stomachs it has a potential to poke through their stomach lining or cut it and could possibly kill them. It's ALWAYS a safer route for your pet to stick with large hard bones or the store bought raw-hide bones, or etc. I would suggest to just watch him/her if you do give it to them.