How much does the average dog breeder make?

I know that the numbers vary alot due to how many dogs they have, how much they sell them for ect..But if you are a dog breeder yourself, or you know someone...How many dogs do you have? And how much do you make annually with your dogs?

I know that the numbers vary alot due to how many dogs they have, how much they sell them for ect..But if you are a dog breeder yourself, or you know someone...How many dogs do you have? And how much do you make annually with your dogs?...
    General Dog Discussions : How much does the average dog breeder make?...

• How much does the average dog breeder make?

How much does the average dog breeder make? General Dog Discussions
      I know that the numbers vary alot due to how many dogs they have, how much they sell them for ect..But if you are a dog breeder yourself, or you know someone...How many dogs do you have? And how much do you make annually with your dogs?

How much does the average dog breeder make? General Dog Discussions
    • it depends on what dog it is and current fads, my mom used to sell Shih Zhu puppies for like 1500 dollars, she had pedigreed dogs. She really wasn't a professional breeder since she only had a few bitches and one stud, so you figure a litter of about 5 puppies you could make like 7500 dollars, her dogs pedigree stretched all the way back to China in the 1800's, if you are talking about Puppy Mills thats a whole different story and you shgould never get into that

• If they do it correctly and ethically, they make nearly nothing breeding. The price of the puppies is made up for in showing the female until she becomes a champion, paying for stud fees from a champion male, doing health tests and screens on both dogs, paying for good prenatal care, paying for labor emergencies, paying for quality food, and paying for the puppies medical care for the first ten weeks of life.

• Make???As in PROFIT???? You GOTTA be kidding!!!!!!!! Zippo!!!!!!Showing and health clearances, vet care, stud fees, and good food are all EXPENSIVE!!!!Do it RIGHT and you make nothing.Puppymills/BYB's make money because they don't put NEARLY as much into the dogs!!!**My last litter of 5...4 of whom were sold for $1,500 each made NO profit. Most of it all went right back out the door to the handler and show entries. The rest was to the vet and the food delivery.

• YOU SHOULD NOT BREED TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!!A REPUTABLE BREEDER BREEDS FOR CONFIRMATION AND QUALITY OF THE BREEDNOT FOR MONEY.BREEDING DOGS IS NOT A CAREER!!!!!!

• Actually, the average reputable dog breeder makes very little money. Most of the money is eaten up with providing quality care, vet care, and feeding for the dogs and litters.

• My aunt raised Chows and she made OK money at it but she didn't put a lot into it... I know several people who do, and even do pure bread cats! You will get out of it what you put into it, the quality of your dogs, the breed, if you network, sell them yourself, or through a broker or pet store... etc... you can make a living at it as many people do in my area but it is cruel to have those poor dogs pinned up and breed over and over...

• The average dog breeder, real breeder, not backyard breeder, doesn't even break even. Breeding dogs isn't a money-making venture, breeders do it for the love of their dogs and for no other reason. Back yard breeders are a whole other thing - they can make money breeding because they don't do any health testing, they sell puppies much too young, a lot of them don't give 1st shots, don't do worming, don't feed good quality food, they certainly don't show or advertise, in short, the dogs aren't good quality nor are they well looked after.Real breeders make $0 annually.

• If your first (or almost first) concern is how much money you will be making, you shouldn't be breeding puppies. Money is not a good reason to be breeding. Read all of the other responses about the no profit in breeding and believe them.

• If they put their dogs through all the correct testing and use a stud with a good pedigree background, they make nearly nothing and very often lose money. This is the way it should be done. Anyone breeding to make money shouldn't be doing it.

• If they are a good breeder they make next to nothing once they pay for the vet bills, first checkup, shots, dewormer ect. If they are a byb it depends on how much they overabuse thier dogs by breeding them and how many dogs they abuse by keeping them outside in all sorts of horrid weather. If you're planning on breeding dogs for money, you're sick.

• Too many variables here to say, but most dog breeders will tell you they don't do it for the money.Rarer breeds sell for more. The more breeders there are with certain breeds, the cheaper they get.Also, depends if the breeder registers their dogs with the kennel club etc. Some don't bother, but their dogs are still pure breeds so they sell them, but for less.There are many many expenses, so some breeders make a loss even after selling puppies for a lot of money.There are stud fees usually, and depending on the stud, they can run to hndreds or maybe even thousands in some cases.There are vet's bills while the mother is pregnant.vet's bills during the birth if things go wrong.vet's bills to vaccinate and check the puppies for any known or unknown genetic disorders etc.KC registering fees.Food etc for the puppies while they are still with the breeder,Advertising the puppies for saleAll of these and sometimes more are expenses that detract from any earnings.

• I have males so for me its a bit different. If you are the owner of both the sire and dame and are looking into breeding for the profit dont bother. There is alot of time and money that goes into even 1 pregnancy, both animals need to be vet checked before breeding, momma needs various vet checks durring preg, then at due date there may be complications or she may need a c-section ect. after she needs at least 1-2 checks to make sure she is still ok and there is no lack of calcium ect. then all of the puppies need to see the vet regulary before they are even given away. Depending on the breed you have docking of tails, dew claw removal, worming vaccs. over all the proffit depends on the pregancy, the last litter we actually had we made no proffit at all, the vet bills due to complications with momma were more then what we sold the babies for. But the babies went to good homes so its worth it.i have 2 males, only one is a sire the other is not breeding quality (but he just about died in birth so i kept him)my family has the dames and there are 3 different ones.

• I am not a dog breeder, I still have way too much to learn before I try that, but I know many collie breeders. Most of them only have one litter a year. Before they breed their dogs they have to them tested at their vet. for STD's. (yes dogs have sexually transmitted diseases too) Which costs $.Then they have to do progesterone testing, to see when the dog should be bred. (Which means more $ paid to the vet.)Then they have to pay the Stud fee - Which is usually around $500, but sometimes up to a $1,000.Then they have the cost of check ups with the vet. to make sure their pregnant dog is healthy and the puppies are doing ok. And they cost of feeding the mom and puppies a high quality dog food to ensure they are all getting proper nutrition.Then once the puppies are born, they will have to go for eye checks, health checks, and first vaccinations....all of which comes out of the breeder's pocket.All of this and then there is no guarantee how many puppies will be born, if any. And none of this is considering the cost in the event of problems which require surgery, etc.Finally, there is the cost of showing the b*tch and/or stud dog and earning their championship titles. (Reputable breeders wait until their dogs are finished champions before breeding them.) Most reputable breeders break even on the cost of having a litter, while some may make a small profit. More often they lose money on the litter. The reputable breeders are not breeding to make money. They are breeding to produce their ideal of the breed standard. They have carefully thought out the planned litter, researched the parent's pedigrees and considered all the potential problems. Most of them will have people on a waiting list for puppies, so they already know their puppies will have good homes. Breeding a litter should never be done without careful planning, as there are just too many dogs and puppies in shelters without homes. It's the BYB breeders who have multiple litters and the puppy mills that actually make a profit.

• The only thing a good breeder really gets out of it is the pleasure knowing they have maintained the breed standard and in some cases have bettered it.This is how a backyard breeder contributes to the breed: Every hour about 2,500 puppies and kittens are born in the United States. A dog abandoned on the street has a life expectancy of about one (1) year, a cat slightly longer. Each year, there are over 15 MILLION animals destroyed in pounds and shelters because there are no homes for them. A male pet can easily father 750 offspring in his lifetime. If a dog or cat has four (4) offspring every year (which is a very low number) and two (2) of them are female, and each of them also has four (4) offspring a year, two of them female - by the seventh (7th) year, the original mother will have four thousand three hundred and seventy-two (4,372) descendants.