Would a small dog like a bigger or an equal-sized one better?

I have a fairly old pomeranian who does not get along with other dogs unless they are puppies. We are considering getting another dog and I was wondering if she would like a dog that will grow to be larger than her or a dog that will become the same size…

I have a fairly old pomeranian who does not get along with other dogs unless they are puppies. We are considering getting another dog and I was wondering if she would like a dog that will grow to be larger than her or a dog that will become the same size…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would a small dog like a bigger or an equal-sized one better?...

• Would a small dog like a bigger or an equal-sized one better?

Would a small dog like a bigger or an equal-sized one better? General Dog Discussions
      I have a fairly old pomeranian who does not get along with other dogs unless they are puppies. We are considering getting another dog and I was wondering if she would like a dog that will grow to be larger than her or a dog that will become the same size as her. There aren't really any dogs smaller than her except Chihuahuas which is not going to happen.

Would a small dog like a bigger or an equal-sized one better? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, get a pup and have it grow with her. Eventually she will get used to the dog. I wouldn't start by getting an adult dog that's older or bigger than her because she might feel threatened by a newer dog and she may turn even more aggressive to prove her dominance.Same sex dogs don't get along as well as opposite sex dogs do. So get a toy breed male pup and hopefully things will work out.

• Well, I think you should get a Yorkie or A Golden Retriever.A Yorkie because they are sweet and pretty smart, and get along with other dogs, and also the same size as your pom ^_^A Golden because they are extremely intelligent and very easy to train. They are the best dog in my opinion just because of all there skills. The golden is bigger and I think you should get the bigger breed to show your pom that they can't feel king or queen of the house.

• I would get another pomeranian, a papillion, etc. Our older dogs loved the pup. Even got a little more energetic. But you don't want a big pup overpowering an older pomeranian.

• Truly, she would prefer to be your only dog and not have her lifelong territory invaded by some puppy who is going to steal all the attention and time and affection and toys away from her. Can't you give her a good end-of-life time and not get another dog until she has passed on?She would be intimidated and possibly hurt by a puppy that grows to be a larger dog than she is. She would feel in constant competition with a dog the same size. She won't understand why you got another dog and she won't be happy. Give the old sweet girl a break and don't add to your dog family until "after".

• My little 13lb mutt is best friends with a big 60lb hound mutt. In fact he prefers big dogs. I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the new dog, and be more worried that their temperaments match.

• i have a two year old papillon. she will play with the neighbors yorkie-poo but mainly tells him to leave her alone.other dogs hse sort of visits. but when she sees libby (another papillon) she goes crazy playing.depends on old yours is. she may not be in a playing mood anymore.

• I think if you get a puppy it will be smaller and she will learn to accept it. By the time it is grown they should be best buddies!I love Shih-tzus! They are the best dogs! They get along well with other animals, including cats. They also get along well with children.They are very loving lap dogs yet they love to play. They are super cute and just absolutely lovable. They come in all different colors and one great thing about this breed is they don't shed. They will not leave pet hair all over the place!The standard size for a Shih-tzu is 9 - 16 lbs. I prefer this size. Some people breed the smaller ones to get what they call "teacup" or "imperial". These puppies would be very small and I would worry about them getting hurt.Shih-tzus love to follow you around and lay at your feet and sleep with you at night. I think all dogs should have a buddy to play with and to keep them company when you are away.Shih-tzu aren't hyper or yappy dogs either like Yorkies.