what is a good breed of dog to take hiking/camping with me?

will be able to walk with me long distances.

will be able to walk with me long distances....
    Dog Breed Discussions : what is a good breed of dog to take hiking/camping with me?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what is a good breed of dog to take hiking/camping with me?

what is a good breed of dog to take hiking/camping with me? Dog Breed Discussions
      will be able to walk with me long distances.

what is a good breed of dog to take hiking/camping with me? Dog Breed Discussions
    • A friend of mine has a Burmese Mountain Dog and an Airedale Terrier that go hiking with him in the Rockies pretty much every weekend. I went with him once and not only did they seem well suited to it, but they loved it.

• This is one of the exact reasons I fell in love with the Chesapeake Bay Retriever.A very very very rugged, serious dog with an untested love for the outdoors-will tackle any mountain or river you throw it's way. They love it. I camp at least 3 times a year, and hike as often as I can so long as the weather is permitting-I've had no better companions with me than my chessie and lab. They are bred to tackle land in order to find downed birds, and swim in water to do the same. Truly bred for the outdoors, and it still runs in their veins today.

• NEVER BUY FROM BACKYARD BREEDERS, PUPPY MILL, PETSTORE OR NEWSPAPERS. PLEASE CONSIDER ADOPTING FROM A SHELTER AND DON'T KNOCK THE ADULTSHere are some breeds that are energetic-i star* the ones that are good hiking dogs.Afghan HoundAiredale Terrier*****AkbashAkitaAlapaha Blue Blood Bulldog*****Alaskan MalamuteAmerican English Coonhound*****American Foxhound******American Pitbull Terrier*****American Staffordshire Terrier*****American Water Spaniel*****Anatolian Shepherd*****Australian Cattle dog*****Extreme Energy-experience ownersAustralian Kelpie***** EXTREME ENERGY-experienced ownersAustralian Shepherd******extreme energy-experienced ownersAzawakhBasenji*****-EXTREME ENERGY-Experience ownersBassethound*****IEXTREME ENERGY-experienced ownersBeagle*****EXTREME ENERGY-experienced ownersBearded CollieBeauceronBedlington TerrierBelgian MalinoisBelgian SheepdogBelgian Shepherd LaekenoisBelgian Shepherd MalinoisBelgian Shepherd TervurenBelgian TervurenBergamascoBlack and Tan coonhound*****Bloodhound*****Blue Tick Coonhound*****Bernese Mountain DogBlack And Tan Coonhound*****Black Russian TerrierBloodhound*****Border Collie*****EXTREME ENERGY-EXPERIENCEDOWNER Borzoi*****Boxer*****Boykin Spaniel*****Bracco ItalianoBriardBriquet Griffon VendéenBrittany SpanielBull TerrierCoonhoundEnglish CoonhoundBrittany Spaniel******Clumber Spaniel*****American Cocker Spaniel*****English Cocker Spaniel*****English Springer Spaniel*****English Toy Spaniel*****Cavalier King Charles Spaniel*****Field Spaniel*****Irish Water Spaniel*****Labrador retriver*****Golden Retrivers*****Chesapeake Bay Retriever******Curly coated retriver*****Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever******GreyhoundMountain dogsShepherdSpanielsSettersRetriversSheepdogHounds.The only dogs that don't make good hiking dogs are the ones with short pushed in noses-dogs like pug, pekinese, bulldog.Truth is, there is really no such thing as an ideal breed for hiking, rather there are different dogs with different body structures and different personalities. The best hiking dog may be just out there in your local shelter just waiting for an active owner as you to hit the trail.

• Any breed of dog you choose will be the right dog. You have to go with what breed you prefer not what breed is best. Any dog can go hiking and camping. I have taken Dalmatians and little Jack Russell Terriers. Size doesn't matter, you preference does. What ever breed you will be comfortable with camping, hiking and most important, in your home. A whole life time of companionship is what you need to consider. GOOD LUCK