what dog breed to protect my chickens?

ok i just asked this same question and its not that the answers were bad its just i want to ask about other breeds. so my question is could a old english sheepdog protect my chickens. i knew the herd livestock but do they also protect them? and does…

ok i just asked this same question and its not that the answers were bad its just i want to ask about other breeds. so my question is could a old english sheepdog protect my chickens. i knew the herd livestock but do they also protect them? and does…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what dog breed to protect my chickens?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what dog breed to protect my chickens?

what dog breed to protect my chickens? Dog Breed Discussions
      ok i just asked this same question and its not that the answers were bad its just i want to ask about other breeds. so my question is could a old english sheepdog protect my chickens. i knew the herd livestock but do they also protect them? and does anyone have and other breeds they would recomend. what i am wanting is a dog that protects my chickens from sray dogs,coyotes,coons and foxes. and i would like a dog that stays close to the house and if posible not so bad of a slobber.

what dog breed to protect my chickens? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have a dog that is half chocolate lab, half Pyrenees, and she does a bang up job of protecting my father in law's yard chickens. But she also grew up around them, so she got used to being a mama hen, I guess you could say.

• Livestock guardian dogs were bred to do just that. Protect your livestock. You don't want a herding dog, like an olde english, more often than not it will simply just chase the chickens around. A livestock guard dog has no type of prey instinct or the drive to chase moving objects. They were bred to stay with the flock. Some LGD breeds are:-akbash-great pyrenees-kangal-kuvasz