Why do people judge dogs on their breed?

Judging dogs because their breed is like judging humans on their race. Rotweilers and pitbulls deffinently don't deserve the reputation they have. a fmly member of mine has a pitbul and she is one of the sweetest dogs I know! a friend has a rotweilier…

Judging dogs because their breed is like judging humans on their race. Rotweilers and pitbulls deffinently don't deserve the reputation they have. a fmly member of mine has a pitbul and she is one of the sweetest dogs I know! a friend has a rotweilier…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why do people judge dogs on their breed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why do people judge dogs on their breed?

Why do people judge dogs on their breed? Dog Breed Discussions
      Judging dogs because their breed is like judging humans on their race. Rotweilers and pitbulls deffinently don't deserve the reputation they have. a fmly member of mine has a pitbul and she is one of the sweetest dogs I know! a friend has a rotweilier which is also sweet dog. They think that cause there stronger there more aggressive, your thoughts on this??

Why do people judge dogs on their breed? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I completely agree with you. I know a few families with dobermans and pitbulls and they actually seem quite friendly, but sadly because of their reputation (which was receieved by bad pet owners/anyone with other intentions for these particular breeds) they are seen as a threat in comparison to other breeds such as goldens, poodles, and etc.

• I have been saying all along that the focus should be on the dog's personality instead of breed, generally speaking.However, if certain breeds are prone to violence, this is not breed or racial profiling in my opinion.

• Its not the dog, its the owners, the irresponsible owners who don't socialize and train their dogs the once that I hate!This answer...I dont know how many times I have answered a question like yours. I Personally like APBT's and Rottweilers.My dog got attacked by a Rottweiler with a Fing STUPID OWNER who knew his dog was unsocialized and let him run free at the dog park. I don't blame the Rottweiler, I blame his damn pathetic owner with a pea for a brain.I am totally against BSL, BSL is wrong and completely stupid and only ignorant people agree with it.Here is BSL Hit List...its pathetic.1. AIREDALE TERRIER2. AKBASH3. AKITA4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD7. AMERICAN BULLDOG8. AMERICAN HUSKY9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD13. ARIKARA DOG14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD 16. BELGIAN MALINOIS17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG18. BELGIAN TURVUREN19. BLUE HEELER20. BOERBUL21. BORZOI22. BOSTON TERRIER23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES24. BOXER25. BULLDOG26. BULL TERRIER27. BULL MASTIFF28. CANE CORSO29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD31. CHINESE SHAR PEI32. CHOW-CHOW33. COLORADO DOG34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL39. ESKIMO DOG40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG41. FILA BRASILIERO42. FOX TERRIER43. FRENCH BULLDOG44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER 46. GREENLAND HUSK47. GREAT DANE48. GREAT PYRANEES49. ITALIAN MASTIFF50. KANGAL DOG51. KEESHOND 52. KOMONDOR53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY54. KUVAZ55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER 56. LEONBERGER57. MASTIFF58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF59. NEWFOUNDLAND 60. OTTERHOUND61. PRESA DE CANARIO62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN63. PUG64. ROTTWEILER65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND66. SAINT BERNARD67. SAMOYED68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND69. SIBERIAN HUSKY70. SPANISH MASTIFF71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER72. TIMBER SHEPHERD73. TOSA INU74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD75. WOLF SPITZIf You dont know what BSL is : Breed-specific legislation

• I don't know.....Pitbulls in England have been banned so I don't know what they're like because I've never seen one....I agree that people shouldn't judge a breed....People don't judge chihuahuas the same as pitbulls and Rotweilers and in my opinion THEY should be the ones who are banned because they are ugly, vicious little runts...(I hope you don't think I'm being 'breedist..' lol

• Why indeed. Unfortunately there are some breeds who have attracted a reputation for being aggressive, probably because they are bought by people who want to be seen with an 'aggressive' dog, and so the circle starts.Breed specific legislation is a huge mistake and it should always be the deed, and not the breed.

• the BEST animal lovers will admit that diff breeds TEND to have certain temperments. Its a general rule of thumb to go by and it makes sense!!!! ppl judge pitt bulls because they are the #1 breed in fatal dog/human attacks and the owners are like 'but the dog was soo sweet! i cant believe it!"............google 'fatal dog bites' and pitt bull is the #1......sorry but the truth can hurt=(

• Judging dogs by breed is NOT like judging people by race. Not liking pit bulls doesn't make one "racist" ( or the more juvenile term "breedist").People do not think that they are stronger and so are more aggressive. People buy into media hype and overly exaggerated claims of "pit bull" attacks. It used to be the Rottweiler. Before that it was the Doberman. Before that it was the German Shepherd.The fact that these large breeds can and do wind up in the inept hands of complete idiots who ruin the dog and turn them vicious for novelty or "protection" doesn't help their cause. All of these breeds wind up in the news at some point because their obscenely irresponsible owner messed up. These breeds can maim and kill with little effort, and have. People decide they dislike the breed entirely because a few representatives were allowed or encouraged to be violent and vicious.People look at the bite statistics and think "gee, those dogs are in the top 10 list of breeds that are vicious" and become wary. What they don't realize is that the dog bite statistics are inherently flawed, because they are based on REPORTED bites, which leaves the victim responsible for identifying the breed or breed mix that attacked him. Do you know how few people can identify a rottweiler, doberman, or pit bull? Hell, look at the pictures of small black and tan dogs people post to ask what breed mix it is. People will always inevitably suggest that 15 lb dog has rottweiler in it based on the markings. That same stupid person will label a medium to large sized, short-haired, muscular dog as a pit bull.It also leaves out most bites that cause no real damage, like small or medium sized dogs, or unacceptable, unprovoked "nips" or other non-damaging bites from larger dogs. People are also inclined to report "high risk" breeds for more minor incidents. If the dog had been a lab or poodle, or for whatever reason they had NOT suspected it was one of the "high risk" breeds, often times the bite wouldn't even be reported.By the way, make no mistake, a pit bull has the power to dismember an adult human. While a well bred pit will NOT do this, many of them are badly bred or deliberately bred for aggression. They can, they have, and they will if the stupid people who own them can't find a dog from a decent breeder or rescue with a known temperament. While the bite statistics are flawed, these breeds ARE on that list for DAMN GOOD REASON. They have killed people. They are powerful, and must be handled accordingly. Training is imperative. Proper handling is imperative. The problem is that people who cannot or will not do either keep getting hold of these dogs.To say all pit bulls are good dogs is a fallacy. To say all pit bulls are bad dogs is equally a fallacy. One MUST understand that there are bad apples in every breed, but those bad apples in such a powerful breed draw more attention because they inflict more damage. A lab in a bad mood isn't likely going to inflict serious damage with one bite. A pit bull in a bad mood that happens to bite can inflict severe damage, even irreparable damage, because of the sheer power of their bite. Does that make them vicious killers? No, but it means they are powerful and so must not be allowed to develop any behavioral problems that may lead to a bite. It's far more important with these large powerful breeds, medically speaking, than many other breeds.

• Remember, I am AGAINST breed specific legislation.However, I will take precautions based on breed.When I am walking through the crowd at a dog show, and I see a breed known for dog aggression (for example a kerry blue terrier or a staffordshire bull terrier) I will ensure MY dog's head is cupped in my hand and turned the other way. If I'm walking through a bunch of PVGVs or beagles, I'll just walk with my dog at a heel.It's simple safety. Not every dog in a dog aggressive breed is dog aggressive. But they didn't get the reputation from being sweet to other dogs -- suitable precautions to avoid altercations in all circumstances is wise, and a little extra care around "aggressive" breeds is never misplaced.I just heard in the group ring last week at a dog show in VA two terriers (breeds known for dog aggression) somehow got into a big fight. This is quite rare at dog shows, but it does happen. One handler was badly hurt when breaking up the fight. Even dog savvy people get surprised once in awhile.