I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.?

I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.?

I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.? Dog Breed Discussions

I am looking for the best livestock guard dog for my goats.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There are a handful of breeds traditionally used for this. They include:Akbash DogAnatolian Shepherd DogCentral Asian SheepdogGreat PyreneesKomondorKuvaszMaremmaSouth Russian OvtcharkaTibetan MastiffAll can make excellent Livestock Guardian Dogs. You could also look into getting a Llama or a Donkey, which are known for being good predator deterrants. How many goats do you have? I'd suggest you look into those breeds and find out which is best for your situation. You need to consider climate, how much property you have, etc., etc.Good luck!

• Cleoppa got it!!!Personally, I'd choose a Great Pyrenese.. but I'm a dog nut. However, most people who I buy goat meat from use Llamas. (There's a craigslist ad in the Seattle area for a donkey who was used with sheep, sheep are gone, time to find a new job for the donkey).