What are Pros and Cons of owning an Akita?

We are considering getting an Akita for our next dog. What are your pros and cons of owning one? Are they good with kids, territorial, easy to train, hard headed?? etc... Please tell me your experience and if you would have the same dog again? thank you

We are considering getting an Akita for our next dog. What are your pros and cons of owning one? Are they good with kids, territorial, easy to train, hard headed?? etc... Please tell me your experience and if you would have the same dog again? thank you...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are Pros and Cons of owning an Akita?...

• What are Pros and Cons of owning an Akita?

What are Pros and Cons of owning an Akita? Dog Breed Discussions
      We are considering getting an Akita for our next dog. What are your pros and cons of owning one? Are they good with kids, territorial, easy to train, hard headed?? etc... Please tell me your experience and if you would have the same dog again? thank you

What are Pros and Cons of owning an Akita? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My cousin had one and to be honest I didnt trust it. It could be very loving but was also very independant and only wanted fuss on its terms. Very territorial and intensly disliked other dogs on walks or any dog it came across as a matter of fact. They have a 2 yr old daughter and she accidently dropped a toy on it while it was sleeping and it snapped at the toy. If it had been the child that had fallen then it would have snapped at her. Wonderful dogs in the right environment but potentially lethal in the wrong. They had to re-home it to a couple with no kids or dogs, it was 18 months old

• They can be great dogs, but tend to bond to one person or family and don't do well with strangers. They are strong willed and with out proper training can be dangerous (just like any other dog), they're kinda like chows in that sense. They are incredibly smart, which means if they aren't stimulated enough they can easily become destructive. I love the breed, but they aren't for me. I've known people with them, some are great, but some have been extremal aggressive. They can get very large so if you don't have a lot of experience with strong willed breeds I would think very hard about getting an Akita. If you do decide to get one, invest in training. Good Luck.

• They are consider a bully breed and you should be an experienced owner. They are large dogs and require training and control when in public. I don't want to say that your children will be in danger, but I wouldn't leave my kids unsupervised with this type of dog.

• depends on dog and training, exercise, socialization, grooming and vet care\needs to live in house with familyneeds fenced yard and supervisionkids need taught how to treat dogthey have one in neighborhood that is tied to front of garage. it does nothing but bark and lunge at anybody that walks by.they one that comes to petsmart to be groomed. it is dog aggressive and has to be brought in and kept separate from the other dogs. when in store, she will tell people to not touch as he might bite. and she is half it's size, so i worry about being able to control it if it decides to go after someone or their dog. only reason they allow in is it hasn't attacked anyone yet.so with that saiddepends on dog, kids, training and supervisiondepends on dog and your training abilitywould think they could be stubborn i prefer chows

• First you should know that Akitas are not for everyone. They can be dominate if allowed to be and need a strong and experienced owner that will take control and establish themselves as a pack leader.If you get an Akita from a reputable breeder that breeds for proper temperament, they can be an outstanding companion. A well tempered Akita is usually very good with the children in it's family, but they are a large and powerful dog that should be supervised at all time when around children. They are a very loyal breed and can be very protective of "their" children so they can sometimes take rough play by your kids friends as a threat, so again supervision is needed at all times around children.The key to owning a well balanced Akita is, first get your Akita from a reputable Akita breeder and then training and socialization. If you don't have the time to train and socialize your Akita, I would suggest that you get another breed.I have been fortunate to own 3 well bred Akitas with great temperaments, and still have the 3rd one in my home. My kids were raised with an Akita in the house and now my grandchildren play with my Akita, under supervision, and she is very well behaved with the children. I absolutely love the breed and Akitas are the only breed that I will ever own.As to being hard headed, they are a very independent breed and can be stubborn if allowed to be. As a breed they can be aloof at times and will just go to their place to be alone so if you want a velcro type dog, the Akita you get may not fit that need.Before you get one, study up on the breed. Learn what the tendencies of the breed are and if they meet your lifestyle. They need to be raised in the home as part of the family and do not do well as a backyard dog that is just around the family occasionally.