is the shiba inu related to the akita, do u own a shiba inu?

I have heard about the akita's great loyalty, Do Shiba inu's have that same loyalty? Does anyone own a shiba inu, i would like to know if they will stay with you on off leash walks. Also anyother tips about this breed would be great.

I have heard about the akita's great loyalty, Do Shiba inu's have that same loyalty? Does anyone own a shiba inu, i would like to know if they will stay with you on off leash walks. Also anyother tips about this breed would be great....
    Dog Breed Discussions : is the shiba inu related to the akita, do u own a shiba inu?...

• is the shiba inu related to the akita, do u own a shiba inu?

is the shiba inu related to the akita, do u own a shiba inu? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have heard about the akita's great loyalty, Do Shiba inu's have that same loyalty? Does anyone own a shiba inu, i would like to know if they will stay with you on off leash walks. Also anyother tips about this breed would be great.

is the shiba inu related to the akita, do u own a shiba inu? Dog Breed Discussions
    • shiba inus and akitas are two different breeds similiar but different a shiba is a little smaller and a akita is bigkinda like a shetland sheep dog and a rough collie similiar but differentin size and weight limits

• I don't have a shiba inu but did quite a bit of research on the breed before I decided that they are not the dog for me. The shiba is a hunting dog and is prone to running off after small game and completely ignoring its owner's commands to come back. They need quite a bit of exercise and mental stimulation or they can become destructive in the house and dig holes in the yard. They sure are cute though!

• LOL. Loyalty?? That makes me laugh. The Shiba Inu and the Akita Inu are both Japanese hunting dogs and you are correct, the Shiba, as the tiniest of 6 breeds, is similar to the largest Akita.I own a Shiba Inu and let me tell you, "loyalty" is not a word I would use to describe her. She's stubborn and bratty and will only do what you ask when she feels like doing it as well (well, she WOULD be that way if I weren't so adamant with her). She is without a doubt the cutest dog I've ever owned and I get a lot of compliments on her, but the Shiba is not a breed I would recommend for everyone. They're bright and independent and curious and I would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS let a Shiba Inu off leash. Mine can and has run right out the door and, though she comes back, does so on her own time (normally after about 5 minutes of pure panic on my part and screaming her name around my neighborhood. She'll come crashing out of some bushes and stop about 10 feet from me. From there, she wants me to pick her up and take her home because she's tired of running. I'm telling you, they're bratty.). If you are not a first time dog owner and are prepared to spend a lot of time training and loving this dog, then go do some more research. This is NOT a dog for the first time owner or for one that will just let it take over. They need firm guidance and discipline to ensure that they do not become dog aggressive or resource guarders (mine is a little of both – it’s my fault and I’m trying to correct it) – these are traits that are fairly typical of Shiba behavior.http://shibainus.ca/tms-in-a-nutshell-or-blast-from-the-past/If you read this ENTIRE website and decide you still want a Shiba Inu, then do some more research to find a good breeder or rescue and do it. That website was the most helpful one I went to while in search of whether this breed was right for me. It is funny and honest and real, written by a woman who owns TWO of these little angels.