Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active?

I am in search of a dog. The border collie has the right size and right look.But i need a dog that is a little less active but a good running partner. Any suggestions?let me rephrase this, the all around temperament of this dog is great except the…

Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active?

I am in search of a dog. The border collie has the right size and right look.But i need a dog that is a little less active but a good running partner. Any suggestions?let me rephrase this, the all around temperament of this dog is great except the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active?...

• Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active?

Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am in search of a dog. The border collie has the right size and right look.But i need a dog that is a little less active but a good running partner. Any suggestions?let me rephrase this, the all around temperament of this dog is great except the activity level i cant give the dog a daily job to do.

Is there a dog breed that looks like the border collie but is a little less active? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I really doubt it... Most dogs that are bred with a similar body structure of a Collie are bred to be herding or service dogs and they come with a lot of agility and exercise.

• I have a chihuahua that is marked like a border collie. He is a long hair black and white chihuahua but everyone asks if he is a miniature border collie. Maybe you just need a nice dog from the pound. You can find all kinds of regular dogs there that need a home and they look like certain breeds.

• An older border collie?Maybe a border collie mix- have a look at some shelter websites and you might find one.Sorry miis_siixty, gave you a thumbs down by mistake.

• Go to www.animalplanet.com and take the breed selector test.It is a short quetionaire that will help you determine what dog will best suit you based on size, temperment, exercise needs, grooming needs and other criteria. It then tells you your top results, in order of best suited. Then you can check out the various breeds and get great insider info about health and quirks specific to the breed. It's a great website and very useful. BTW - Shelties are good running/biking partners, and don't require a ton of exercise. But they are prone to running off and being a little "yippy".

• Nope.Looks should be pretty much irrelevant when considering what kind of dog to get, but the Springer Spaniel is the closest thing I can think of in size, looks, and energy level. They are pretty active but don't need a "job" like the border collie does. They also chill out a bit in adulthood.Whatever breed you decide upon, please consider adoption from a rescue or shelter.

• Shetland sheepdogs.They're a herding breed as well but they don't have near the energy a BC has. You'd have t get one with a tri coat, but it's similar to a BC

• A Bi-black Sheltie (just black and white, instead of black, white and tan).I found lots of pictures, but can't get any of the links to work. Click on the Yahoo image window (next to web) and type in bi-black shelties and several of them will come up.If you want a low key dog, make a point of finding a pup that does NOT have a herding lineage. If I were you, I'd either check out a Sheltie rescue group or ask people who show in conformation (not obedience) at AKC shows. Best of luck.

• Yes actually two, ones slightly bigger and ones slightly smaller!Scotch Collie=Smooth & rough coat and Shetland Sheepdog They are both very similar in looks and body shape & similar colour and similar temperment to border collie, and are still highly intelligent, just a little more placid! I grow up with a scotch collie, it was grandma dogs, lovely natured dogs.Scotch CollieThis is a good-natured, intelligent and friendly breed of dog that makes an excellent companion. The Smooth Collie is more active and athletic than the Rough-coated variety – although you can get both varieties in the same litter. Collie puppies need to be thoroughly socialized in order to build confidence. Collies need a lot of social interaction and can become noisy or destructive if left without human companionship for long periods of time. Most collies are good with children and other pets if thoroughly socialized when they are puppies. Collies can be trained to a fairly high level through the use of praise and food rewards. Collies can be very sensitive to noise and loud voices. Collies are wary of strangers and make good watchdogs. This breed does well with novice or first-time dog owners.Exercise; Moderately active!Color;The four recognized colors are "Sable and White,""Tri-color,""Blue Merle" and "White." There is no preference among them. The "Sable and White" is predominantly sable (a fawn sable color of varying shades from light gold to dark mahogany) with white markings usually on the chest, neck, legs, feet and the tip of the tail. A blaze may appear on the foreface or backskull or both. The "Tri-color" is predominantly black, carrying white markings as in a "Sable and White" and has tan shadings on and about the head and legs. The "Blue Merle" is a mottled or "marbled" color predominantly blue-grey and black with white markings as in the "Sable and White" and usually has tan shadings as in the "Tri-color." The "White" is predominantly white, preferably with sable, tri-color or blue merle markingshttp://www.albermayne.com/girls.htmhttp://www.albermayne.com/boys.htmhttp://www.albermayne.com/gallery.htmhttp://www.balinfern.com/collies/index.htmlhttp://au.geocities.com/burdekin_collies/grand_champs.htmhttp://www.digitalgraphics.com.au/collie/care.htmlRough collie coat is more popular due to Lassie series.Shetland SheepdogThe Sheltie is extremely intelligent, agile, sweet tempered, gentle, obedient, loyal and somewhat sensitive. Shelties are playful, charming and easy to train. Most Shelties make great companions and family dogs and get along well with considerate children. Some Shetlands are too nervous, shy and high strung and must be thoroughly socialized while puppies and trained to control excessive barking. However these types of Shelties can be unreliable around young children because the children are too noisy and rambunctious. Shelties love to please their owners and like the higher level training required for advanced obedience, agility and other competitions. Shelties respond best to reward-based training and will respond to verbal commands. The breed is somewhat leery of strangers and makes good watch dogs. Most Shelties do fine with novice or first-time owners.Exercise; ModerateColor Black, blue merle, and sable (ranging from golden through mahogany); marked with varying amounts of white and/or tan. Faults-- Rustiness in a black or a blue coat. Washed-out or degenerate colors, such as pale sable and faded blue. Self-color in the case of blue merle, that is, without any merling or mottling and generally appearing as a faded or dilute tri-color. Conspicuous white body spots. Specimens with more than 50 percent white shall be so severely penalized as to effectively eliminate them from competition. Disqualification-- Brindlehttp://au.geocities.com/ssc_nsw/Border CollieBC’s are extremely active and intelligent which is a difficult combination to live with unless you can give it a lot of exercise, attention and training. These Collies are extremely fast and agile and can be readily trained to be great competitors at agility trials. Border Collies really should be herding livestock on a farm but if this isn’t possible you must substitute lots and lots of advanced obedience or agility, jogging, biking and Frisbee playing. Without lots of physical and mental activity, BC’s will become hyperactive and impossible to live with These Collies can get very destructive and bark continuously if they are left along in the yard. However if BC’s have the right owners, they can become great family dogs which are good with older children. BC’s are not a suitable dog for a novice or first-time dog owner.Exercise; VERY highColour;Color The Border Collie appears in all colors or combination of colors and/or markings. Solid color, bi-color, tri-color, merle and sable dogs are to be judged equally with no one color or pattern preferred over another. White markings may be clear white or ticked to any degree. Random white patches on the body and head are permissible but should not predominate. Color and markings are always secondary to physical evaluation and gait