can you train a rottweiler the same way as a german shepherd?

Basically, yes.Individually, no. Each pooch needs the trainer's methods fine-tuned to suit ITS personality.The Queen in my e-group has represented the USofA in 3 World's Championships, trains dogs & handlers for the local security firm, plus has her dogs…

Basically, yes.Individually, no. Each pooch needs the trainer's methods fine-tuned to suit ITS personality.The Queen in my e-group has represented the USofA in 3 World's Championships, trains dogs & handlers for the local security firm, plus has her dogs…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : can you train a rottweiler the same way as a german shepherd?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• can you train a rottweiler the same way as a german shepherd?

can you train a rottweiler the same way as a german shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
      Basically, yes.Individually, no. Each pooch needs the trainer's methods fine-tuned to suit ITS personality.The Queen in my e-group has represented the USofA in 3 World's Championships, trains dogs & handlers for the local security firm, plus has her dogs in about 2 dozen police forces. Yet before competitions she goes to one of the trainers she respects, to get her methods fine-tuned for her current GSD - the handler cannot see every nuance of how the dog reacts to each handling method, so an independent observer is required.(1) Why should someone ELSE's pooch want to obey YOU? Which leaves only bad old-fashioned "force"-training available.(2) And YOU training the pooch (even if you are as good as you think you are - but you don't list any factual evidence, such as the qualifications your pooch has passed in any KC competition, nor which club has invited you to be an instructor in one of its classes) and then giving it to someone else is a waste of time & effort, seeing as the owner STILL hasn't a clue about training, plus has different voice tones & rhythms than you do, and probably isn't even consistent in her responses to her pup's behaviours.Dogs are NOT a programmed electronic toy that lets you always get the same response when you press a particular button. Each owner has to be SENSITIVE to _their_ dog's interests & needs.EVERY dog owner should be in a training club class (NOT one of those pet-shop play-groups!) that starts when their pet becomes 18-22 weeks old. If they can't do that, then they don't get a pup from me - I consider it so important that the adult part of my Guarantee becomes void unless the owner sends me a copy of the first graduation certificate while the pup is still a pup.And yes, I HAVE been a club instructor, although I dropped out in 1971 when the clubs where I moved to insisted on using what they thought was the Köhler Method. My last pup came inside at 8½ weeks, was paper-trained that afternoon, and had the run of the house 24/7 except for the closed lounge & guest bedroom and my always-open bedroom. Only 5 times did I have to look in the passageway next morning for the aromatic sock she hadn't been able to resist stealing while I was asleep.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967

can you train a rottweiler the same way as a german shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Rottweilers are very smart and very trainable! I have owned and trained Rotty's for over 19 years and after a few years realized how easy they made my job when trying to train other breeds. All dogs have their own personality, but a major part of training is to teach the owner and get the owner involved and have the owner do the training. Otherwise it will not work. You lay the groundwork and give the owner all the tools necessary to train the dog. And her Rotty will respect and bond with her which is an awesome feeling for a Rottweiler owner. Good Luck and I hope this helped!

• I don't think that breed will change how you train her, so much as the dogs individual temperment. Each dog has their own personality, and that can make it easier or harder to train them. Also, consider having your cousin help you with the training. It helps promote a healthy relationship, and cements in the dog's mind that the human is the alpha in the pack.

• I have a German Shepherd and have done an amazing job training her so my cousin wants me to train her Rottweiler puppy. Can you train them the same way if not how do you train them. Thanks in advance.

• Yes you can. However, training someone else's puppy for them never works. I'm a professional trainer and the trick is working with the owner to train both the owner and dog at the same time.