How dangerous are rottweilers around kids?

A well-bred Rottweiler is generally a calm and loyal dog. It is extremely loyal, affectionate, and protective of its human family. The dog's owner must be dominant, the Rottweiler must be subordinate to its master. Unfortunately, careless breeding, poor…

A well-bred Rottweiler is generally a calm and loyal dog. It is extremely loyal, affectionate, and protective of its human family. The dog's owner must be dominant, the Rottweiler must be subordinate to its master. Unfortunately, careless breeding, poor…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How dangerous are rottweilers around kids?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How dangerous are rottweilers around kids?

How dangerous are rottweilers around kids? Dog Breed Discussions
      A well-bred Rottweiler is generally a calm and loyal dog. It is extremely loyal, affectionate, and protective of its human family. The dog's owner must be dominant, the Rottweiler must be subordinate to its master. Unfortunately, careless breeding, poor socialization, and lack of exercise or work can lead to an unstable and aggressive dog. The Rottweiler is good with its owner's children, but should be closely supervised around other children.About Rottweilers - http://www.dog-pound.net/rottweiler/rottweiler-dog-breed-profile.phpRottweiler Tempermant - http://www.dog-pound.net/rottweiler/rottweiler-temperament.php

How dangerous are rottweilers around kids? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Find a reputable breeder and have a chat with them - if you buy a dog from a reputable source then the chance of poor temperament is lower than if you buy from an irresponsible source (such as a pet store.) That being said: A well bred Rottweiler with a solid temperament should be child friendly so long as the child is taught to be respectful. It may require several supervised visits but a young Rottweiler should also be able to accept family and friends, though i wouldn't ever expect any Rott to be wholly welcoming of total strangers (they ARE a guarding breed after all!) In all honesty you can't expect ANY dog to be tolerant of grabby hands, body slams, or being hit with solid objects. Period. Like i said, chat with some RESPONSIBLE Rottweiler breeders - you can find some through the AKC page or google the Rottweiler Club of America and go through them.http://www.amrottclub.org/rottweilers.htm

• Dogs can be dangerous around small kids. Period. Any breed. Purebreds are not different than mutts in the sense of being individuals -some good, some crazy. You need a good tempered dog, you need to train him and you need to supervise him with children. I've done rescue for many years and I have met some monster rotties and some really lovely teddy bears. Either get an adult (there are plenty of rotties in rescues and shelters) and carefully evaluate his temperment (one who has been fostered in a home may have better info on temperment) or get a puppy from a reputable breeder who pays attention to temperment and will let you meet and interact with parents of the puppy you are interested in. I would go with a shelter myself. Good luck.

• I am thinking about adopting a Rottweiler but have heard that they are very dangerous around kids they don't know. I heard they get jealous? My nephew is 6 and comes to visit once or twice a month and I would hate to put him in danger. I have a Rottweiler/Beagle mix who we've had for the past 10 or so years and shes just the sweetest thing and wouldn't hurt a fly. But do the rules change with purebreds?

• All animals can be protective and posessive. I hate hearing that rotties are violent because I've lived with 3 at once and they were the biggest sucks, and when I was a kid I was bit (badly) by a SMALL dog. It all depends on how the animal was raised.