What are the laws for having a pitbull in a two family house?

I live above a family that has a pitbull. The pit bull bite my friends mother in the face and nothing was done about it. the police wouldnt even come to the house. They dont use a chain to take the dog to the back yard fence, which had no top…

I live above a family that has a pitbull. The pit bull bite my friends mother in the face and nothing was done about it. the police wouldnt even come to the house. They dont use a chain to take the dog to the back yard fence, which had no top…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the laws for having a pitbull in a two family house?...

• What are the laws for having a pitbull in a two family house?

What are the laws for having a pitbull in a two family house? Dog Breed Discussions
      I live above a family that has a pitbull. The pit bull bite my friends mother in the face and nothing was done about it. the police wouldnt even come to the house. They dont use a chain to take the dog to the back yard fence, which had no top covering,. The couple are in their forties and cant really control the dog at all. What can I do? I would hate to have to move because of their dog. Please help!!!!

What are the laws for having a pitbull in a two family house? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You should check with the local city or county humane society regarding the local laws. Dogs don't need a "top cover" on fencing as long as it is high enough (usually about 6-8 feet is plenty), but they should use a leash when he is outside but not in the fence. You could also ask a local police officer or laywer regarding the laws in your area, not every city or county or even state has the same laws regarding animals.

• Don't call the police, call animal control, SPCA, or humane society, whoever has legal jurisdiction over animals in your city. The police don't often take animal control complaints very seriously, and most often direct you to the animal-related authorities and won't do anything about it. Consider talking with an attorney.

• I shouldn't think there are any specific laws about having a pit bull in a two family house, as you call it. But I am shocked that the police did not respond when you contacted them about your friend's mother getting bitten. Does your friend have evidence, like a medical report, photos etc? If so, try the Police again, or Animal Control. Any dog which bites once has an increased chance of a repeat, and it might be a child next time. Make sure you have as much real evidence as possible, including details of exactly where, when and how this incident happened. I know that the authorities are extremely busy, but they do have a duty to investigate when something like this is reported to them.