Why does my rottweiler puppy bite so much?

I'm guessing this is 'cage' behavior. It's not natural to cage an animal and they can be aggressive; Add it's youth, too and that would make it worse.They'll get cage teeth, too from gnawing on the cage sides. They will literally look filed…

I'm guessing this is 'cage' behavior. It's not natural to cage an animal and they can be aggressive; Add it's youth, too and that would make it worse.They'll get cage teeth, too from gnawing on the cage sides. They will literally look filed…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why does my rottweiler puppy bite so much?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does my rottweiler puppy bite so much?

Why does my rottweiler puppy bite so much? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm guessing this is 'cage' behavior. It's not natural to cage an animal and they can be aggressive; Add it's youth, too and that would make it worse.They'll get cage teeth, too from gnawing on the cage sides. They will literally look filed down.Continue to gently correct this puppy, show him who knows best and give it the benefit of the doubt.I think this will stop when he's no longer caged to be quite honest. How much cage time is it getting? Perhaps you can reduce that. It needs to be playing, learning to interact with humans and exploring its world..D

Why does my rottweiler puppy bite so much? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months they are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find one that won't yelp, jerk their hand away, and leave.You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens. Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords. Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

• He's a puppy so he's probably just trying to play with people when he's excited. Give him toys and bones to chew on and play with he's probably bored when he's barking at everyone. When he nips at your fingers put your hand in a fist and just tell him no or ignore him. Rotts are a breed that reeeally like to chew so you need to give him something to relieve that urge. Hope this helps I have a 7 month old rott and these.things helped with him :) also the barking and growling mine is very vocal all the time I think it might be normal for them :)

• This sounds like normal nippy puppy behavior, combined with some fear of punishment. Karen Pryor's website has full and complete instructions for handling nippy puppies. Better yet, enroll in Sirius Puppy Classes (find classes near you at the Sirius website) and get personal instruction. You will also end the classes with a puppy that will come when called, walk on leash without pulling, pays attention to you, and will sit, stand, lay down and stay, all off leash, in six weeks.The classes are a lot of fun. The puppies also get to play together. Puppies can start as young as 12 weeks old. Enroll soon!

• First of all the dominant thing is crap. The lazy way of "training" a dog. Simple solution, tired your pup out. The more activities your pup does the less he is likely to be riled up. The more energy he has the more likely he is to bite. He's a puppy so teething toys are great, kongs are great. He mainly wants to play, or he doesn't feel comfortable with you picking him up. Most of the time yipping when a dog bites you doesn't work, didn't work in my case with my dogs when they are pups. If he bites you simply say no, in a stern voice and stop playing. Until he calms down.

• ....He's a puppy, he is teething/playing. Thats how he plays with his litter mates.Every time he bites firmly say no and give him a bone or toy eventually he'll learn that he can chew on the toy and not the human.That or I heard of some people every time the puppy bites they shriek and it teaches them to not bite (Never done that though).You make it sound like he's always in his cage? Dogs aren't meant to be cages animals..sure you can kennel them at night or when you aren't home but don't leave them locked up while someones home. It's cruel and unnecessary.

• I have an 11 week old rottweiler puppy. Sometimes when I take him out of his cage, he's really nice, but after a while he gets riled up and starts to bite, grolw, and bark at everyone, no matter how much we try to correct him. I've heard that pinning him to the floor tells him that you're dominant rather than him. And also he growls and trys to bite if I pick him up to take him outside. Will this stop? Are there any techniques I can use to stop this?

• Dogs are usually very playful and doing that is basically just being a puppy. Puppies tend to do stuff like that a lot! My dog for the first 5 months bit all the time and acted the same way. After you just let them know they are wrong they will start to understand. My dog Is now loving, playful and always licks, never bites. Usually its just the puppy stage. Just remember to discipline and make sure he knows when he's wrong.