When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food?

I have a 4 month old german shepherd-belgian malinois mixed dog and i was just wondering when should i start giving him adult dog food. and how much should i feed him at his present age? im currently giving him 1 cup of dog food and 1cup of rice..is that…

When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food?

I have a 4 month old german shepherd-belgian malinois mixed dog and i was just wondering when should i start giving him adult dog food. and how much should i feed him at his present age? im currently giving him 1 cup of dog food and 1cup of rice..is that…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food?...

• When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food?

When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 4 month old german shepherd-belgian malinois mixed dog and i was just wondering when should i start giving him adult dog food. and how much should i feed him at his present age? im currently giving him 1 cup of dog food and 1cup of rice..is that too much?

When should I start giving my German Shepherd-Belgian Malinois Mix Adult dog food? Dog Breed Discussions
    • At his age, you should be feeding him three times a day. Half a cup of food each time. When he hits the age of eight months, you can then start feeding twice a day, a cup and a half each feeding. At the moment your nutrition sounds great, I would however divide the two cups into three more meals. Maybe a few vegetables here and there with the rice and a bone or two every so often. Keep it up and you will have a longer living buddy!

• I switched my dogs when they were about 5 or 6 months old. Usually they have feeding recommendations on the side of the dog food bag. If your dog starts looking too skinny, add more food, if looking too roly poly, feed less. Rice is unnecessary unless he's been vomiting or had diarrhea. Try adding meat or canned food instead.

• There are lots of right ways to feed dogs. You can give your dog dry or canned food, cook for him, buy a frozen raw diet, or all of the above. Here's more info:http://dogtime.com/feeding-adult-dogs.html

• Large breeds should be fed the puppy food until 18-24 months. Use his physical condition as a guide. If he's underweight, feed a little longer, if he starts to tend toward overweight, switch to adult food. Cut out the rice-it's totally unneccessary. Feed according to the directions on the bag. Some foods will require him to have perhaps 1-1/2 cups per day, some will require maybe 4 cups. Follow the directions for the food he is currently on.

• Sorry to say, but about 95% of the answers you got are idiotic and should not be listened to.Large breeds prone to hip and joint problems should NEVER be fed puppy food longer then 6 months. Puppy food is too high in protein, and causes growth spurts. With a large breed dog, you don't want them to grow at a fast rate. The slower the growth, the healthier for the body. In the end, your dog will reach the same size, just a few months later. Growth spurts can not only cause serious long term damage, but painful short term diseases such as panosteitis, a disease which is very common in german shepherds, especially males. It usually occurs around 1 year old, and is caused when the long bones grow too fast and actually weaken. So, switch to adult food at around 5-6 months old (ANY knowledgable vet or decent breeder will tell you to do the same). People who say large breed dogs should eat puppy food until over a year old need to stop giving in to crappy feeding directions from crappy foods.As for amount, follow the amounts given on the bag. Stop feeding the rice, though. It is pointless. Dogs can't digest grains, and you are simply filling your dog up. It can be used as a nice treat every now and then, and even help settle a calm stomach, but dogs can hardly digest cooked food as it is like their dog food. So instead of a cup of food and a cup of rice, you should probably just give 2 cups of food. But again, the amount depends on the dog food. If you are feeding a premium food, which you should be, then you won't feed as much. My 90lb male only ate three cups of premium food a day. When you feed a crappy food, you need double that. BTW, stalkers are cowardly thiefs has proven himself to be an idiot on multiple occasions. It DOES matter the breed of dog. A german shepherd mix needs to go off puppy food long before a dachsund mix, for example. Each breed has certain genetic issues they are more prone to, and its ALWAY a good idea to know what to watch out for. German shepherds are prone to hip and sometimes eye problems. Malinois are usually disease free, as they aren't popular and over-bred.So, to sum it all up:*Switch to adult food in the next two months*Stop feeding rice*Buy a quality food (no corn, wheat, or by-products)*Follow feeding instructions on the bag