What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems?

My German Shepherd has lately been having a hard time walking, going up and down the stairs and getting into a car. It looks so sad and I want to help him. I know glucosamine is the answer but what brand would you recommend so he can start walking easily…

What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems?

My German Shepherd has lately been having a hard time walking, going up and down the stairs and getting into a car. It looks so sad and I want to help him. I know glucosamine is the answer but what brand would you recommend so he can start walking easily…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems?...

• What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems?

What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems? Dog Breed Discussions
      My German Shepherd has lately been having a hard time walking, going up and down the stairs and getting into a car. It looks so sad and I want to help him. I know glucosamine is the answer but what brand would you recommend so he can start walking easily again??????

What supplement would you recommend for a 13 year old German Shepherd with walking problems? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Large breeds of dogs tend to suffer from arthritis more often than smaller breeds. This is probably due simply to the extra weight and stress on the joints of larger breeds. What’s less clear is why purebred dogs – particularly males – suffer from canine arthritis more often than mixed breeds.I've used Nupro Join Support Supplement and it really seems to help a lot! Here are the ingredients: Nupro is made with fresh quality health food ingredients that are human-grade, not animal-grade. It contains a full range of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and essential fatty acids in their natural raw forms. The specific joint support ingreedients are: Glucosamine Complex (500 mg. per scoop) is a special formula that is an easily absorbed natural substance that stimulates the production of proteoglycans which help to maintain the health and resiliency of connective tissues and restores the damaged cells of cartilage tissue. Glucosamine complex helps promote the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints. MSM (300 mg. per scoop) is a natural source of bioavailable sulfur, essential for the growth and repair of tendons, cartilage and other connective tissues. MSM is also an anti-inflammatory agent. Ester-C Chelated Mineral Blend (300 mg. per scoop) boosts the absorption of the glucosamine complex and MSM and promotes collagen formation. http://www.petwellbeing.com/joint-supplement-large-breed-p52.cfm

• Your dog should probably be on pain medication to help with the pain she is experiencing with her hips or joints or arthritis in addition to a supplement. You really should have the vet do an x-ray of her hips to see what the problem is exactly. My german shepherd had severe arthritis in both of her hind legs in addition to degenerative nerve and muscle disease. She was on a pain medication, and three supplements in order to manage her pain and discomfort. Take the dog to the vet and let him give you the necessary medication she needs. Stop trying to self medicate the dog without knowing what her problem is.

• Glucosamine chondroitin with MSM is great with dogs who are just having very minor joint problems or as a preventative in younger, active, large breed dogs.However, a 13 year old German shepherd who's having a hard time walking needs a trip to the vet for x-rays and proper treatment. You have no idea how bad his problem is. He might be at the point where he needs prescription meds to be kept pain free. Or glucosamine might be all he needs. You still need your vet to tell you the right dosage for him.

• My vet recommended Dasuquin. Cosequin is good too, although she likes the Dasuquin better.If you can afford it and can find a practitioner, canine acupuncture helps in some cases. It doesn't repair any damage from arthritis, but it relieves pain. It helped my dog.Also, it may be time to talk to your vet about a painkiller/anti-inflammatory such as RImadyl. Use of Rimadyl must be carefully monitored as it can cause liver problems, but it may be worth it considering that this is a quality-of-life issue for an elderly dog. You can also ask about using enteric-coated aspirin or Tramadol instead.

• Cosequin DS is the only one actually proven to work.It is made for dogs,but you can buy the same product,made by the same company,but for humans,at Walmart for a cheaper price. It is called Cosamin DS. You would give one capsule three times a day for a month,and then you can give 1-2 capsules every day after that.A salmon oil supplement is also a god idea.I buy it at Walmart and give my GSD two 200 mg.softgels a day,She is 8 and has no signs of joint disease. You might also give the dog a Bufferin twice a day,with food,but be sure to tell your vet,because if he/she would want to start the dog on a different medication,you would have to wait for 3 days after the last dose of aspirin to start a different NSAID or steroid.http://nutramaxanimalhealth.com/Products/Cosequin-joint-supplements.aspxhttp://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/human/cosamin/index.aspEdit: As Laura wrote,the Dasuquin is great,and there is also a human formula of it,also cheaper than the dog formula,but made by the same company!

• German Shepherds are prone to hip dysplasia.Feeding a diet that has too much or too little calcium or other minerals can also have a detrimental effect on the development of the hip joint. However, with today's complete and balanced dog foods this has become a rare occurrence. The practice of feeding home-made dog foods is popular with some dog owners. These diets must be carefully monitored for proper nutritional balance; not only for calcium and the other essential minerals but for all nutrients. Glucosamine and Chondroitin: Glucosamine and chondroitin are two compounds that have been widely used to help manage osteoarthritis in both animals and humans.Perna Mussels: Perna canaliculus, or green-lipped mussel, is an edible shellfish found off the shores of New Zealand. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are often used for the management of the signs of atopy in dogs.Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASUs): ASU's are an extract of avocados and soybeans.Duralactin: Duralactin is a patented product obtained from the milk of grass-fed cows.These are just a few so check out this website for more and other information that will be helpful:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=444

• Your dog should be seen by the vet to accurately determine what is wrong and properly treat it. Then, if you are allowed to use a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement, I recommend Glyco-Flex III. It has the most glucosamine and MSM per pill (1000 mgs of each) of any brand. I get it from www.kvpet.com. Synovi G3 is very close to it in formula.ETA: Yes, Cosequin is safe and effective, but it's not the only one that's proven to be effective. The dosage per pill is lower, so it's more expensive to use. The plus side is that is it so widely available. As Dances said, you can pick it up almost anywhere pet supplies are sold. Clear aspirin with your vet before you use it. Long term use of aspirin at doses needed to manage arthritic pain actually damage cartilage, which is one reason the newer NSAIDs like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, etc. are so often prescribed.