What are the pros and cons of the Bassett Hound dog?

I adore Bassett Hounds. Their sad faces, chunky low bodies and big howls. However, I heard that they don't age well and can have complications with hip displacement. I really want one but I want make sure I know what I am getting into before I make a…

I adore Bassett Hounds. Their sad faces, chunky low bodies and big howls. However, I heard that they don't age well and can have complications with hip displacement. I really want one but I want make sure I know what I am getting into before I make a…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the pros and cons of the Bassett Hound dog?...

• What are the pros and cons of the Bassett Hound dog?

What are the pros and cons of the Bassett Hound dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I adore Bassett Hounds. Their sad faces, chunky low bodies and big howls. However, I heard that they don't age well and can have complications with hip displacement. I really want one but I want make sure I know what I am getting into before I make a lifelong commitment to adopting one. Thanks & Peace

What are the pros and cons of the Bassett Hound dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Pro: there super loyal and will always be there for you. They listen. You can't resist those big eyes and ears. Con: they smell like a bag of corn chips. If you don't mind the smell your fine :) there amazing dogs.

• Pros:-Adorable puppies-unique characteristics-Guard/Alarm dog- little grooming- do not require vast amounts of spaceCons:- Eyes. (conjunctivitis, entropion.)- Ears. ( Otitis Eterna )- Hip Dysplasia- Spine disorder- Congestive Heart Failure

• Bassets (with one t) are a breed apart. Not for anybody who wants instant obedience. This doesn't mean they can't be trained because actually there are many Obed. Champions out in America. It's a question of finding the key to unlocking their brains. They are not dumb, by a long way. Applied psychology is a must with them - make them feel what you want them to do was their idea all along. They do NOT suffer from back problems - we've only had one who developed spondylitis, when he was 8. Provided the ribs go back far enough to support their long backs, and their owners take extreme care with them as puppies, there's no indication this is a breed that suffers from this. They also do not have HD, much as there can be some who do. It's not inherent in the breed - although I would say their conformation isn't that of a jackal!! Hips and elbow dysplasia is being tested for however, so you might check with the breeder about that.Eyes - yes, entropian is in the breed, coupled with other exaggerations (loose skin) which is now being addressed in the UK. They also suffer from glaucoma, and again there is a test for the pre-condition (goniodysgenesis) leading to glaucoma, which does run in some lines.Bleeding disorders are seen in the breed (von Willibrands)They can suffer from skin conditions (Malassezia) Temperament-wise they should be second to none (although again as the breed has become too popular, poorly bred Bassets are being seen). Make sure you find a reputable breeder (via the Breed Clubs is best) and go see the adults etc.This is a breed that DOES NOT do well living alone for long hours. They are a pack hound, and do best within their family, or other canines. If they are subjected to this sort of life they will become bored, destructive and noisy. A lonely Basset is a very sad Basset. If you are working full time, this is NOT the breed for youI'm not sure what 'don't age well' means because mine have all lived well into their 14th year, which is above the norm for how this breed used to be (11 was the norm). Provided care is taken in puppyhood, there is no reason for them not to be perfectly sound well into old age. Puppies must not be walked other than a local stroll before 6 months. No route-marching - and NO STAIRS. After 6 months, they should be gradually built up until a year when they can go as far as you want. This is because of the heavy bone the breed should have.They do well on a plain diet - find one that suits and stick to it. If anything mine have over the years, suffered more with digestive problems (usually my fault), than anything else.If you want one of this delightful breed, please do your homework. Find a good breeder, go visit with them and ask all the question you need answered.Good luck!!Add - Heart conditions are not widespread within this breed.