What do I do when my beagle puppy is having a reverse sneezing attack?

It usually happens in the middle of the night when she's sleeping and comes out of nowhere. The reverse sneezing attack usually lasts around 45 - 60 seconds. How can I help her thru the reverse sneezing attack or help stop the attack? My dog is a 4 and…

It usually happens in the middle of the night when she's sleeping and comes out of nowhere. The reverse sneezing attack usually lasts around 45 - 60 seconds. How can I help her thru the reverse sneezing attack or help stop the attack? My dog is a 4 and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What do I do when my beagle puppy is having a reverse sneezing attack?...

• What do I do when my beagle puppy is having a reverse sneezing attack?

What do I do when my beagle puppy is having a reverse sneezing attack? Dog Breed Discussions
      It usually happens in the middle of the night when she's sleeping and comes out of nowhere. The reverse sneezing attack usually lasts around 45 - 60 seconds. How can I help her thru the reverse sneezing attack or help stop the attack? My dog is a 4 and a half month old beagle puppy. Thanks.

What do I do when my beagle puppy is having a reverse sneezing attack? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My whippet used to do this. I used to just scratch his neck on a favorite spot to calm him so he didn't panic. It seemed to subside quicker if he wasn't trying to gasp for breath and the petting seems to relax him.

• Beagles and many other scent hounds are known for doing this, as the muscles in their nose sometimes have spasms. These attacks are not harmful, rather they are similar to having the "hiccups". And though the dogs themselves are sometimes inconvenienced by it, it's more of a distress to their humans, who often believe that something is wrong. It is quite normal, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening, nor is there anything that can be done to "cure" it.On a short-term solution, if you cover their nose for a good 10 seconds or so, the lack of oxygen will stop the spasming, and allow them to breath normally. Be warned, however, that your puppy will likely struggle with you, as you will be preventing her from breathing.