How do I stop my beagle from peeing on himself in the kennel when I leave him?

My beagle is 1.5 years old and I have tried to leave him in the house alone and find that I cannot trust him to hold his bladder. In order to keep a decent house, I have started to kennel him, but ever since he was a puppy he will pee on himself while…

My beagle is 1.5 years old and I have tried to leave him in the house alone and find that I cannot trust him to hold his bladder. In order to keep a decent house, I have started to kennel him, but ever since he was a puppy he will pee on himself while…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I stop my beagle from peeing on himself in the kennel when I leave him?...

• How do I stop my beagle from peeing on himself in the kennel when I leave him?

How do I stop my beagle from peeing on himself in the kennel when I leave him? Dog Breed Discussions
      My beagle is 1.5 years old and I have tried to leave him in the house alone and find that I cannot trust him to hold his bladder. In order to keep a decent house, I have started to kennel him, but ever since he was a puppy he will pee on himself while in the kennel regardless of how long I am gone. I am not sure what to do because I do not have an area of the house I can put him in since he gets very anxious when confined and become destructive. He is a classic separation anxiety case with a small bladder - what can I do? Training? Creative kenneling ideas? Help!

How do I stop my beagle from peeing on himself in the kennel when I leave him? Dog Breed Discussions
    • How large of an area does the dog have to move? Dogs wont pee where they have to lay. Maybe you're leaving too much room in the crate. They should only have enough room to lay down. If he keeps this up even with a small area, then try taking him to the vet to see what they think, there could be a problem with the dog.

• You could try taking him to a vet to be sure he doesn't suffer from some urinary problem that could be cured. If that were the problem that would probably be simplest solution. If you believe the problem is separation anxiety - your vet can provide medication for this as well. But this isn't necessarily a medical problem. Some dogs who were kept in cages for a long period and who got in the habit of going potty in their cages are very difficult to completely potty train. (For example puppy mill dogs or pet store dogs-) I have heard of dogs who will potty in their crates no matter how small the crates are. First be sure your crate is the proper size - it should be large enough for you dog to stand and turn around - but no larger. If the crate is too large try to partition it off. If the crate is the proper size and he still goes potty in it - it will be very difficult to train him not to do this. A simpler and cleaner solution may be to confine him in a *larger* area with newspapers down so that if he potties he doesn't have to lay in it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!Michelehttp://www.e-dog-training.com