My beagle is always hyper and i can hardly train him?

My beagle is always barking and scratching. Whenever I let it in the house, it goes crazy and starts attacking my family. I really need help to fix him.

My beagle is always barking and scratching. Whenever I let it in the house, it goes crazy and starts attacking my family. I really need help to fix him....
    Dog Breed Discussions : My beagle is always hyper and i can hardly train him?...

• My beagle is always hyper and i can hardly train him?

My beagle is always hyper and i can hardly train him? Dog Breed Discussions
      My beagle is always barking and scratching. Whenever I let it in the house, it goes crazy and starts attacking my family. I really need help to fix him.

My beagle is always hyper and i can hardly train him? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Beagle are high energy dogs bred to hunt game. The use their nose to locate the game. They are intelligent, but need to be intensely trained early on because they do have minds of their own. They also need adequate exercise to allow them to release their energy and let them use their nose. Try going for walks (as a pack). You will need a leash or a fenced in area, because they will follow their nose.

• Few questions: How old? How old was he when you got him? Is he neutered? How much exercise does he get? These all play into his behavior... it sounds like you have a very high energy dog on your hands! I just recently adopted a 1 1/2 year old shepherd with the same problem... and I've found that it helps a lot to get out and play ball for at least 30-45 minutes in the morning to get the initial energy out. he might be 'attacking' your family members because he wants attention, and knows no other way of getting it than to bite, scratch, jump, etc. Because that's what dogs would do in the wild to engage play. The next step is to work on his obedience training. Have you enrolled in a class? Classes with multiple people and multiple dogs are a good way of starting because it helps to socialize the dog, as well as for you to have the support of a professional trainer. If you want to work with him at home, you'll have to find a treat he really likes... enough to distract him from running around in circles and wreaking havoc! So something like a a yummy smelly treat, or even a good piece of cheese, or chicken usually works for this. Then go through the basics... like sit, lay down etc and make sure to praise him and give him attention whenever he does something right! Eventually this will help him realize that if he wants your attention, he has to play by your rules. This means not running around like a maniac, but sitting or laying down politely to get your attention. If you don't know how to do this there are tons of tutorials or videos online you can check out. Good luck!

• I have a 6 year old beagle. When she was younger she was the same way. Keep taking the beagle in to classes even if you don't see major improvement. It will help later on when he gets older. Beagles have sooo much energy when there young but when they get older they tend to mellow down and mature. The classes will help and you should see some improvement. Also if you take him on walks more often of have him do a physical activities to let some of his energy out so he isnt so hyper around your family.