To get a male or female puppy? What temperament? Your experience/opinion?

I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy once he/she is 10 weeks old from a very experienced, reputable and responsible breeder. I am torn between getting a male or female puppy. I have only ever owned a Labrador before who was a female but as she was primarily…

I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy once he/she is 10 weeks old from a very experienced, reputable and responsible breeder. I am torn between getting a male or female puppy. I have only ever owned a Labrador before who was a female but as she was primarily…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : To get a male or female puppy? What temperament? Your experience/opinion?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To get a male or female puppy? What temperament? Your experience/opinion?

To get a male or female puppy? What temperament? Your experience/opinion? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy once he/she is 10 weeks old from a very experienced, reputable and responsible breeder. I am torn between getting a male or female puppy. I have only ever owned a Labrador before who was a female but as she was primarily an outside dog as my parents never let her in (I was 12 back then - I am now 31 and in my own home) so I don't remember what she was like, plus she was never spayed - we don't think. Anyway, like I said, this will be my first puppy and I'm very committed and responsible enough to own a pup, I just don't know what one to get! The litter is now only 2 days old and there are 14 in the litter - 5M and 9F.The breeder will temperament test them once older and pick out a few that will suit my wants but no idea what sex pup to get!I plan to do AGILITY and possibly CONFORMATION with my Afghan, too. What temperament should I be looking at for a dog who will be participating in those events? Looks don't fuss me.MALE or FEMALE?Also, I plan to get a Saluki, Bloodhound or an Old English Sheepdog once my Afghan is older so which sex would be compatible with those breeds? I plan to show my next dog and maybe participate in agility with him/her.What age should my Afghan Hound be before I get another puppy?Chetco, generally speaking, would a female usually WANT to participate in those sports? It's very important to me. I don't have kids, nor do I plan to but most of my neighbors, family and friends do have children so right now, I'm leaning towards a male.

To get a male or female puppy? What temperament? Your experience/opinion? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have been an Afghan breeder for the past 23 years. Males are more patient with children, in fact, wonderful.. Females are usually too moody..Afghans are a Matriarchal breed, and females are more dominant.I have never had problems with a male marking in the house.Afghans do not 'hump' people or things! They are not sexually mature until 3 years old, and by then have good manners.Edit: Females do well in lure coursing, but are more independent, and not as willing to please as males ( for the other training). A male will do anything for you, but go away! Females will do what pleases them, much as cats..I love them both, and have both genders in my home. For conformation, both are fine. Males keep their coats better, as it doesn't thin with every heat season. For showing, you want the strutting, bold one of either gender..not the one that shows ANY shyness. and holds its head extra high when moving...Also, the one with the longest reach. Afghans are judged very heavily on their floating movement and proud carriage.Afghans are VERY challenging to teach agility. Basenjis and Afghans are the most difficult to train for agility, but if you can do it, you will be respected far and wide!Just a note: Afghans can never be taught anything by harsh methods, but only by gentle positive training methods. They only please you because they WANT to, and never by force. They will only obey those that they love and respect.P.S. Afghans have a very strong pack mentality and pack loyalty. If you are going to get another dog, then choose the new dog of the opposite gender, and they will get along fine..However, male Afghan hounds love small breed dogs of either gender. Females are more fickle about another female of any size.

• I would go with female. Males tend to mark things and that can be very messy. Females can be spayed which takes care of any sort of mess. That's my two cents. I don't know about the temperment, though.

• If you are getting it spayed, wont make much difference. Maybe female would be better as it wont be marking territory. Will still be killing the grass though (put a little bi-carb in the water to stop this). Afghan, huh ? Lots of work for you. One of the most dumped dogs of all the breeds.... so you are getting two big dogs now ? I have a male and a female (kelpie) and they get along fine, but wrestled early on. I've been told two males are better as one will be dominant, whereas any other combination it will always be a battle for dominance.

• i personally LOVE ALL DOGS (i've never met a dog i thought was ugly or i didn't like!) BUT i personally get a girl dog b/c i don't want a boy dog humping everyone and everything, and peeing against things. at least with a girl dog peeing is in one spot as opposed to against the wall AND the floor. i'm sorry, i don't know anything about dog show things. and please make sure to spay and neuter your pets to help control the pet population!Overall answer is: FEMALE

• Go with male.If u go with female the work is more compared to a male dog.And scientifically,it has been proved that female dogs are mostly attacked by various diseases and have less opppurtunities to live.It wont be fair,if ur sweet little friend die sooner.I said my point of view.It is in ur hands whether to select a male or female pup.Good luck.

• I have 4 Chihuahua's. 3 males and one female. All from the same breeder all have the same father. The boys are 100% more affectionate than the female. (That's why I ended up with 3 boys. Statrted with one of each) The girl can be much moodier although she is very gentle. Of all the people I know who have both male and female dogs almost all say that the boys are more loving and better with kids than females.Make sure he's neutered before reaching maturity though if you go with a boy or that comes with it's own problems like marking if you don't.I say male, but the choice is ultimatly yours.