Do you think we should have a law banning owning a Pit Bull dog?

We could start by having all of the dogs sterilized and thus preventing the new births of these vicious killers.Wow...Syetta. That site you suggested on YouTube brought tears to my eyes. I am a dog lover and it is sad to know that humans can be so…

We could start by having all of the dogs sterilized and thus preventing the new births of these vicious killers.Wow...Syetta. That site you suggested on YouTube brought tears to my eyes. I am a dog lover and it is sad to know that humans can be so…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do you think we should have a law banning owning a Pit Bull dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do you think we should have a law banning owning a Pit Bull dog?

Do you think we should have a law banning owning a Pit Bull dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      We could start by having all of the dogs sterilized and thus preventing the new births of these vicious killers.Wow...Syetta. That site you suggested on YouTube brought tears to my eyes. I am a dog lover and it is sad to know that humans can be so cruel to animals. Our pets depend on us and only want to please us. Thanks.

Do you think we should have a law banning owning a Pit Bull dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No. What we should have is a law banning people from owning one until they have taken 1 or more classes on what a Pit or any other bully breed is all about, and they have to sign a certificate stating they took that class. People are stupid and uncarring. Why do you think you find so many in the dog pounds scarred up or half dead from being pitted (fighting) against one another. This is a very sour subject. But sorry, that's my answer.

• Well from my experience, it is always the owner that trains the dog or allows the dog to act a certain way.Just as a person raises their child and allows them to do bad things things.As long as the dog is alright I don't see a problem with it. But I do sometimes see pit bulls become aggressive even if they at first seem nice.

• no pit bulls should not be banned. Most of the attacks are from dogs beloning to bad owners. If you ban pit bulls or rottis or any other "dangerous" breed, people will just look for a new breed to be the macho, cool, bad ass dog.

• Yes, definitely! Pits are the dog of choice of criminals, druggies, trailer and ghetto folk and especially dog fighters. These are the most irresponsible people in our society and they abuse them making them mean, train them to fight them and breed them for fighting. Pits should be banned. Wisely after alot of senseless deaths and attacks England has banned them and half of Canada too.People always say ban the bad people that own them. How would you do that?? Put them in a gas chamber? Scary! .Isnt that what Hitler did? Pits are responsible for more attacks than any other breed by far. Even "sweet" ones will attack and kill on occasion. Very unpredictable dangerous behavior. Ban these vicious fighting dogs. They do NOT belong in any community!

• If you think that pit bulls are vicious killers than you have oviously never owned one. They are one of the most sweetest dogs that you could ever own. They are very people freindly but are mean towards other animals.

• I like what GSDJunkie stated....Pit Bull terrier are great dogs if they get a great owner who understands their breeding.I have a very good friend who really likes the breed and she has two young children and her dog is very very good to the children.

• No. They are a more violent breed on their own (can't help it, brain expanding with skull formed, slightly more agressive at times) but any dog can be violent if training to be that way is added. I think that instead of banning the ownerships of Pit Bulls there should be guidelines set that are a little stricter for a notably more dangerous breed than say ... a small generally timid dog. Or increase the protections so that all breeds must follow them to keep it even. Even my idea has faults because people make mistakes and do stupid things so SOME dogs, Pit Bull or not would still be dangerous.Clearing something up. I don't mean that they are mean because their brain swells. What I mean is, unlike the human skull, where small bridges expand with our brains until our brains stop growing around 21, some of the stalkier breeds like Boxer, Pit and Rots can have a problem with their skull fusing, which in turn puts pressure on their brain as it grows a little more. That can make some dogs that have this happen more sensetive and agressive. It just depends on the dog.

• That's a huge generalization. Any dog can be a great pet if they are given the proper care and training. Pit bulls do have a higher tendency toward aggression, so I think that perhaps there could be more requirements to fulfill before someone is allowed to own one. A required training course or something. Sterilizing all pit bulls would never work.

• The dogs aren't the problem... It's the dog OWNERS that are the problem. If you really want to control vicious dog attacks (from ANY breed of dog) you need to get laws passed that apply far more strict financial and jail-time penalties to the humans who breed or own any dog proven (on an individual, not "Breed", basis) to be vicious; we need a national database that can track these bad dog owners/breeders and keep them from ever purchasing, breeding or owning another dog again; and we need to set up rehabilitative treatment for the abused dogs so they can be retrained to better control themselves and get re-homed with good people.You want to stop the cycle; stop the unscrupulous breeders and the vicious dog owners who work together to turn their dogs into killers.

• My first question to you is, have you even spent any time around a true "pit bull"? I own two American Pit Bull Terriers that I adopted through a rescue years ago, and they are the best dogs I have ever known. I firmly believe that the owners are fully responsible for the actions of their pets, regardless of what breed they are. We shouldnt ban these dogs because of their actions, its not going to "make it go away". It only creates a temporary solution to the real problem. The neglectful owners will simply obtain another breed and use them instead. Thats exactly what happened with German Shepards, Dobermans, and Rottweilers. Banning something is just a fast, easy fix that will create more of a problem in the end. If you want to really control the issue at hand, I suggest you do some research and look at the facts around the cases against them. Truth be told, the real problem lies with the owners.

• Ban the deed, NOT the breed!! What we SHOULD be banning are irresponsible owners and breeders, who take wonderful dogs and RUIN them. The dog very few times is the reason behind the attack. The Pitties I've met and worked with were complete marshmellows. The real vicious killer is the owner and breeder. They take a wonderful life and absolutely destroy it.And unfortunetly, there's already plenty of those laws out there taking our dogs from our homes and causing wonderful owners & dogs be blamed and spit upon where they carry NO blame.How would you like it if the golden dog of America, Labs, were banned? Or your personal breed of choice? Those of us standing behind bully breeds are just like other dog owners. Fight Breed Specific Legislation before if gets YOUR breed.And you want vicious? You should have seen the Austrailian Cattle Dog my local pound had in a few months ago.Ban the deed. But for godsake, don't ban the breed or rally for that movement.

• No. I've known many really nice pits. I do think that all dogs, no matter what breed or size, should be muzzled when out in public and definitely all dogs should be on a leash (held by a human being, none of this letting the leash drag on the ground behind the dog or letting the dog carry his own leash) when in human populated areas to both protect the people should the dog suddenly go crazy, and also to protect the dog from being falsely accused of biting by a whacko person. They make muzzles these days that don't hurt the dog at all, don't hinder his ability to breathe or lick his muzzle; it would not be a hardship to the dog to wear a muzzle. I think anyone who owns and walks a very strong dog should be able to control the dog at all times and in all situations--if they use "I was walking the dog and it started to go after someone and I couldn't control it and that's why it bit that person" the person should automatically have to go to jail for 20 years without parole. I think the people who create and keep killer dogs (any size or breed) ought to be put to sleep because they obviously have something seriously wrong with their brains. I think if someone's dog mauls a person to death, it should be treated no differently from any other murder, with the dog only being the weapon used, not the motivation.