How do i take this dog on a freken WALK?

he is a african boeboerl (africa mastiff) Anyway we are baby sitting him for a week and this dog is 200 lbs and is not tall or fat he is all MUCLE (or how ever you spell it) lol. Anyway i tried walking him today he pulled me i fell three times and i…

he is a african boeboerl (africa mastiff) Anyway we are baby sitting him for a week and this dog is 200 lbs and is not tall or fat he is all MUCLE (or how ever you spell it) lol. Anyway i tried walking him today he pulled me i fell three times and i…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do i take this dog on a freken WALK?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i take this dog on a freken WALK?

How do i take this dog on a freken WALK? Dog Breed Discussions
      he is a african boeboerl (africa mastiff) Anyway we are baby sitting him for a week and this dog is 200 lbs and is not tall or fat he is all MUCLE (or how ever you spell it) lol. Anyway i tried walking him today he pulled me i fell three times and i couldnt stop him he would go where he wanted to go i dragged me across the street for another dog and i was literaly on my stomach and i already have a broken arm. Ii am pretty strong and even my dad he flew across the lawn when he pulled and when he jumps he knocks you down. So my Q is how to i walk him when he is like that we have tried training collars but they do not workhttp://www.bulldoginformation.com/south-african-boerboel.htmlyes he has a pinch collar on and we tried the prong collar but it wouldnt fit over his BIG headi do not want to go out and buy a gentle lead because its not my dog. and then i would have no use for it.

How do i take this dog on a freken WALK? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Have you tried a pinch collar. I know a lot of people think this is cruel, but a trainer told me this was similar to a mother dog picking her puppy up with her mouth. It pinches, but does no harm.This may not work with a dog this large, I don't know, it does work with my Great Dane, 140 lbs. and Doberman. This dog needs some serious obedience training and I would not baby sit him again unless his owner gets it for him. He is a danger to himself and to other dogs and PEOPLE. Good luck and hopefully for his sake his owner will get the proper training. Not to be disagreeable, but pinch or prong collars do work for walking dogs. They pull, collar pinches, they stop, no more pinch. I have worked with trainers, including police dogs in obedience and protection training and these do work. They are much better than a choke, collar as these can do real damage if not used properly. They are only meant to be snapped to make a noise to distract the dog and make him pay attention.Also, it is never too late for obedience training. His owner owes it to him. As others have stated, you should not attempt to walk him with a broken arm. You may have to call owner and have him make other arrangements.I'm sure they meant no harm, but they should have known you could not handle this huge dog with a broken arm.Good luck to you and don't worry. You have done the best you can.

• Don't walk him again by yourself. You can break the other arm. This is not something you can train him to do in a week before the owner gets back. You can try calling a professional dog walker but who knows if the owner will reimburse you for that. You might play with him indoors or in the back yard if it is fenced and tire him out that way. Get him some toys or a toy that dispenses treats when they roll it and let him chase that all day.Ask the owner to get the dog in to training when they get back and say that you can't watch him till that happens. It is the safest thing for both you and the dog. What if he drags you into traffic?

• Gentle Leader or Halti is the best option for a dog like this. I've seen a 90-year-old lady control her big male Rottweiler with a Gentle Leader. If you don't want to spend the money on a dog that's not yours, don't walk him. It's not worth injuring yourself.

• Prong collars are not supposed to go over the head! They detatch at the base. You fit it over the dog's neck and close it up again. The person you are looking after the dogs for should have given you better instruction. The dog obviously needs training and you are not in a position to do so since he is not yours. Good luck. I hope you have a fenced yard. Otherwise you can get badly hurt.As someone else said, if you have to, hire a pro dog walker and make the owner pay you back!Good luck.Ann

• To control a dog as strong as he is, you must get control of his head first, use a halti lead, they are harmless to the dog and you will notice the difference immediately.

• Oh, I know your pain (annoyance). I have a 3 year old male boerboel, that's 230lbs. These dogs are INCREDIBLY dominant. The problem is that your dog sitting. They have one master and slightly tolerate others. In the owners eyes they're a gem, everyone else, not so much. For the week I would suggest taking him out a back door during the day. Try to avoid all other animals and strangers like the plague. Boerboel's are one of the fiercest guard dogs. If they see strangers or animals they most likely will charge. Scary situation, but that's their breeds purpose. If your arm is broken, then you can't walk him. Someone strong, like your dad must walk him. There's unfortunately nothing you can accomplish in a week. You simply must make due. They're too stubborn, and simply unwilling to submit in such a short time frame. I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, but that's a boerboel for ya.

• HONESTLY, this is not your battle to fight. The owner will have to start from square one teaching their dog to walk on a leash. They will have to use positive methods. Just manage as best you can for the week :)

• Pinch collars are lousy for pulling anyway - it just makes them pull harder. To manage pulling, the force has to be in front of the eyes hence the prior recommendations for lead collars. Ideally, he should have been trained while still small enough to handle but that is spilt milk. Don't endanger yourself, others, and the dog for a mere week. It won't hurt him to lack exercise for a week. Just don't ignore him (if that is possible :) ).