Please help our Boerboel !!!?

Any suggestions would be helpfulwe have a 16 month old boerboel. (south african mastiff)hes recently had 3 elbow surgerys - the last of which was about a week agohe went to the vet to have the cast removed andthe next morning i noticed his neck lymph…

Any suggestions would be helpfulwe have a 16 month old boerboel. (south african mastiff)hes recently had 3 elbow surgerys - the last of which was about a week agohe went to the vet to have the cast removed andthe next morning i noticed his neck lymph…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Please help our Boerboel !!!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Please help our Boerboel !!!?

Please help our Boerboel !!!? Dog Breed Discussions
      Any suggestions would be helpfulwe have a 16 month old boerboel. (south african mastiff)hes recently had 3 elbow surgerys - the last of which was about a week agohe went to the vet to have the cast removed andthe next morning i noticed his neck lymph nodes where in larged pigmentation on lips were changing to pink from blackhis saliva was clear but the consistency was like honeyThe skin on his lips was cracking and sluffing off.he had no fevergums and tongue were healthy pinkwasn't displaying signs of be lathergicdiet hasnt changedhe didnt eat anything he wasn't supposed to stool is normaleating habits are fairly normaleyes are bright and clearheart sounds are good and no chest congestion or abnormalitieshe also seems to be licking his scotum sack more and the skin is peeling away. I can't tell if his skin sluffing on his scrotum happen at the same time as his lips or if its a result of him licking them.What in the world is going on with our pup?!I've read so many diffrent web pages and i have been able to come up with a definitive answer.He went to the vetthey gave him iv fluids and a steriod he was on tylenol 3 for the pain from his surgeory (which he has had before without any complications) as well as trimethoprin sulfa tabs (which he has had before without any complications as well.) they changed his antibotics to cephalax i believe and stopped the tylenolHis lips seem to be getting worse...ANY ANY ideas are welcomed!Best regards,concerned parentshe has been on both of his med before (tylenol 3 and trimethoprim slufa tabs) with no negative reaction. can auto immune dieases show up over night ?someone mention a parvo exposure - could this explain it ? but remember theres no digestive issues / elevated temp/ depression etc

Please help our Boerboel !!!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • vKH-like syndrome... an auto-immune issue which can be induced by antibiotics.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/vkhsyndrome.htmDoes not always start with the eyes - in 2 Samoyeds, a Siberian and an Akita that I know of the first symptoms were de-pigmentation of the lip line and nose. One of the Samoyeds lost all the skin on his scrotal sack.Good luck!

• First of all.....I have no idea....but if he's eating and energetic...that's a very good sign. Maybe he's allergic to some of the meds he's on. Hopefully he will be weened off the meds, as his knees heal. If you're not comfortable with the explanation you got from your vet, get a second opinion from another vet....and another. Exams are relatively inexpensive, compared to the surgery you just paid for.Good luck with your sweet pooch !!!

• First tylenol is toxic. I know a few vets that use it, but i won't touch it. Second, TMS (sulfa drug) is well known for causing allergic reactions and skin reactions. Cephalexin can do it to, but its rare. If his skin is really falling off, you need to take him to the vet NOW. Toxic epidermal necrolysis is uncommon side-effect of antibiotics, but is potentially fatal. Another thought: if he is spending alot of time licking his scrotum, maybe his lips and scrotum are irritated from the moisture and abrasions. Also, VKH like syndrome is NOT common in mastiffs. Discoid lupus and pemphigus are far more common and can be triggered by stress. Sorry about the elbow dysplasia, unfortunately it will cause him pain and problems for the rest of his life, even after surgery.