Serious Hobby breeders only Please.?

I am currently looking into the Boerboel ( african mastiff breed) I have contacted several breeders in South Africa.. I was wondering if anyone knows of a "good" breeder in the United States as well. I have researched a lot of American breeders with the…

I am currently looking into the Boerboel ( african mastiff breed) I have contacted several breeders in South Africa.. I was wondering if anyone knows of a "good" breeder in the United States as well. I have researched a lot of American breeders with the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Serious Hobby breeders only Please.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Serious Hobby breeders only Please.?

Serious Hobby breeders only Please.? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am currently looking into the Boerboel ( african mastiff breed) I have contacted several breeders in South Africa.. I was wondering if anyone knows of a "good" breeder in the United States as well. I have researched a lot of American breeders with the lack of finding one that does nothing more then breed for show.. I am not against show at all in fact I plan on showing but I would also like one that does sports with their dogs such as SchH, French ring, PP etc. I have experience with moloss type breeds as I had shown my Rottweiler ( R.I.P) in the past..but after being literally screwed by the breeder ( b*tch ended up with health and temperament issues)This is NOT an AKC breed it is however foundation stock of the akc..I would like information about breeders in the USA.I have been in touch with breeders in South Africa and was wondering if there were any good breeders here in the U.S. A "hobby" breeder is a ethical responsible breeder.

Serious Hobby breeders only Please.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Hobby breeder? That doesn't sound like a very nice name to me ;)But if you're serious google the AKC breeders in your area.Or you can even get in contact with a good accredited breeder in South Africa. If you really want this one and want the best you would consider importing it.

• I wouldn't try the AKC. most of the breeders are stuck up prudes with their noses so high in the air it would be impossible for them to field any of your innocent questions. seriously, stay away from 'em

• Boerboels aren't known for their Schutzhund prowess here in the US. They aren't on the top 10 schutzhund dog list, so this is probably why you are having more difficulties. Here's a whole list of Boerboel breeders. http://www.dogresources.com/boerboel/ I can't say if they are what you are looking for, but it's a place to start. A few that I clicked on were international and another one was a borderline BYB, but perhaps you can spend more time and find something. With the South African breeders, ask them if they have dogs here in the US that are competing in Sch. If you haven't talked to the US breeders, you might want to do so. Just because their focus is showing, it doesn't mean that their dogs won't do well in Schutzhund. A breeder I know doesn't do Sch (she does conformation showing) and but of her dog's puppies is doing quite well in it with another owner. They may also be able to refer you to someone who is involved. Finally, can the American Boerbel Club help you? http://www.theabc.us/

• John Blackwell in Ok has some great SAB But dont know if he is still breeding. I met 2 of his dogs Jahba was great. SAB appraisal was just done yesterday in Ontario 20 mins from NY. Contact Jen Sider firstdogofftheporch.com she can steer u in good direction.Her breeder of her SAB is great. Tell her Kims breeder sent u .The few GOOD Sabs ive met can do it all SCH SHOW CGC and Obedience.Remember they are not a purebred but a new breed in which they are scored againest the standard. So health issues should be much less than dogs that are inbred.

• There are several breeders in Canada that have been at it for longer and there is no problem getting pups back and forth across the border. I met some at CFC shows up there and they are very knowledgable about the breed and have wonderful dogs that look like they are worked. I wish I had some names for you, but I can't think of them as it was 2 years ago.