Where do you think the pure bred dogs of today came from?

Yes it is getting on my nevers all the desinger dogs people are coming up with, but every breed that is thought of a a pure breed was made by crossing two or more breeds to come up with what we have now. Some of these new mixd breeds maybe future grand…

Yes it is getting on my nevers all the desinger dogs people are coming up with, but every breed that is thought of a a pure breed was made by crossing two or more breeds to come up with what we have now. Some of these new mixd breeds maybe future grand…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Where do you think the pure bred dogs of today came from?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where do you think the pure bred dogs of today came from?

Where do you think the pure bred dogs of today came from? Dog Breed Discussions
      Yes it is getting on my nevers all the desinger dogs people are coming up with, but every breed that is thought of a a pure breed was made by crossing two or more breeds to come up with what we have now. Some of these new mixd breeds maybe future grand champions of the AKC.I had a uncle that wanted to breed a new type of hunting dog he was looking for traits not a look. This breeders are going for a look which I think is wrong. I just wanted to point out that threr may be some good new breeds come from it. I wish it was for a better cause than money.

Where do you think the pure bred dogs of today came from? Dog Breed Discussions
    • well i'm with you. but the dog breeds that were created and are now akc were all bred to serve a purpose. what purpose does crossing a schnauzer with a poodle accomplish? or a pug with a beagle? the german shepherd was created to be a great loyal protecter and herding dog and now is used for just about anything you can imagine. the blue heeler was created to be the most hardy and long lasting working dog ever. jack russels and other dirt dogs were bred to hunt vermin and other pests. as for your toy grouping these dogs were bred for companionship mostly, but a very long time ago. since then the akc has not allowed other mixed companion dogs to enter. the most recent additions have been for dogs who serve working purposes and not a fashion statement. and the fact that these designer breeders are in it for money and not real reputable breeders is not going to help your cause. if you can tell me what purpose a schnoodle can serve over a well bred schnauzer or poodle and i will think about it. the only dog i see that would have a chance that's in this new mix would be the labradoodle. they were originally mixed and created to make a more perfect hunting dog. hunters wanted the ease of the water repellent coat of the poodle along with it's intelligence along with the instinct of the lab and the drive of the lab. now this one i would understand. but a puggle? seriously, what is the benefit?

• Well, purebred dogs were bred with an actually purpose in mind; they were also bred because there was no breed that fit the needs of those people. Also keep in mind that a breed is not a breed until it breeds true for 5 generations. Moreover, there must be a standard that is universally excepted (more or less). This means that puggles cannot be puggles until you are breeding 2 puggles together and getting puppies that look like whatever the standard says (i'm ignoring the lack of standard/purpose of the designer dogs).Sadly, there are breeds out there that were created because someone could not breed quality dogs of whatever their breed was (for instance one breed, whose name escapes me started from maltese). Other breeds, like the Shiloh Shepherd and King shepherd were created by individuals that wanted german shepherds "like the one's i grew-up with". While they have a standard and breed true, this is not an ethical reason to breed the dogs. Never mind in the case of those 2 shepherd breeds, they are much larger than German shepherds ought to be- by the standard of the AKC and other european registries.Interestly, I find the AKC seems to be a little stricter on which breeds it accepts. Something I rather appreciated.

• HII have to agree with you most of the so called pure breed were blended with other dogs to get the desired result of their breed. I love the new looks and personalities of the designer dogs I have a wonderful Maltese Pekingese cross that is the sweetest dog and beautiful. I also have a peke a tzu, a Pekingese shih tzu mix that is adorable too. Best of both breeds.LAmmy

• Some may be, but it'll be quite a while seeing as nobody's setting up standards to work towards.The purists have a point, though. None of the designer breeds have purpose, though goldendoodles started out with one. Noone in this day and age has the drive or patience to actually start their own breed. We, those of us that are teens to mid twenties, are the "now" generation. We dream big, but then don't have the patience to see it through. When we want to do something, we want it done in a week or two, and there is no way we'll get a new breed in a week or two, and when we lose interest, all of what has been done goes in the garbage.I'd like to see new breeds make the scene, but i don't think that's gonna happen. Not in my lefetime, at least.

• No they WON'T!!!! MUTT/MONGRELS are NOT or EVER WILL be recognised breeds!*I* don't ***IMAGINE*** how breeds were developed...I KNOW that they were SELECTIVELY bred by dedicated people who spent their lives & DECADES & FORTUNES on carefully selecting *&* CULLING for the desired traits. FOR A PURPOSE!They needed a taller or shorter or faster or whatever animal to do a BETTER JOB in their area & CAREFULLY selected the dogs that PRODUCED those traits & REFINED that process.Making MUTTS/MONGRELS does *NOT* "make a breed"!*You* on the other hand,don't even know that AKC does NOT have "Grand Champions"!Honey,you've been here awhile & aren't an utter nitwit...WHY did you post such a idiotic question?

• If you want I can answer that question in depth, but yahoo might get POed if I use up that much band width.In a nutshell all purebred dogs were developed by people that knew what they were doing and were breeding to develop dogs to serve a particular need. Todays designer dogs are being bred by BYB that have no idea of what their puppy's will turn out like.

• I agree. One can assume that most (if not all) purebreds were bred from mutts. Sure, they all conform to a standard in looks, size, and to a certain degree temperament, but they still evolved from a much different dog.I'm sure most of them were bred for a purpose such as hunting, guarding, vermin killers, or companions. (most of the designer breeds are companion animals)Miniature Schnauzers have only been known for a little over 100 years and are a mix of standard schnauzers and either affenpinscher or poodle. Depending on who you ask...In my opinion, a dog is a dog. The only difference is the price tag.