What type of small dog should I get?

My mom said I can get a puppy! I really want a small, cute dog that doesn't shed too much. I researched some breeds, and these are some good ones that came up:-Bichon Frise-Affenpinscher-Yorkshire Terrier-Toy poodle-Havana-Maltese-Shih Tzu-West Highland…

My mom said I can get a puppy! I really want a small, cute dog that doesn't shed too much. I researched some breeds, and these are some good ones that came up:-Bichon Frise-Affenpinscher-Yorkshire Terrier-Toy poodle-Havana-Maltese-Shih Tzu-West Highland…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of small dog should I get?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of small dog should I get?

What type of small dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
      My mom said I can get a puppy! I really want a small, cute dog that doesn't shed too much. I researched some breeds, and these are some good ones that came up:-Bichon Frise-Affenpinscher-Yorkshire Terrier-Toy poodle-Havana-Maltese-Shih Tzu-West Highland White terrierDo you have one of these breeds? Any thing that is good/bad about them or that I should know about them? What breed should I get?thanks!

What type of small dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
    • don't get terrier it means terror and they are vicious, i have a jack russel terrior and he tore my brand new mattress. i also have a mini pin. they chew at first like any dog does but eventully stops. the mini pin is very very very sweet

• I have a toy poodle. Poodles do not shed and are very smart. My dog "uses it" on newspaper which I just pick up and throw away so I never have to go outside in the cold or rain. You might want to check the other dog's for shedding or their coats mattings up which requires a lot of maintenance. The ONLY problem I have with my dog is the brown tears that are common to poodles. She just needs her faced wiped off at least every two days or you can buy a brown or black poodle.

• Yorkshire Terrier i have a yorkie my self they dont shed becuse they dont have fur they have hair they are full of personality!:) and sooo cute and since they have hair not fur it is alot easier to brush and style!:):):)

• Personally I prefer a Poodle, they're excellent companions and very smart! They get really emotionally attached so if you plan leaving him/her alone in the house they could get pretty sad!Hope this helps! =)

• The poodle will not shed at all. But will require regular brushing and grooming. If you are not willing or able to do this yourself, you would need to take him to the groomers about every 6-8 weeks to avoid matting and discomfort. The same goes for all the dogs you have listed here.Just make sure whatever dog you get, to get it from a good reputable breeder. Any pure bred as the chance of having health problems and especially if bad genes are being passed down through bad breeding. Please avoid pet stores/puppy mills! You can always check out your local shelter as many of these are very popular breeds.Also remember puppies are great and cute, but A LOT of work! Enjoy and Good Luck!

• I've owned a Shih Tzu and a Westie (bred them actually).From my experience, they both make great family pets. Shih Tzu's are more laid back and don't require as much exercise. Westies definitely show their Terrier heritage and are more energetic and also require more attention when it comes to obedience training. Their instincts can be very strong! They can both be wonderful dogs with the proper training. If you want more of a lap dog I'd choose the Shih Tzu over the Westie. If you want a dog that can go on a jog with you, and you have the time to train it, I'd go with a Westie. Westies are also generally more expensive than Shih Tzus.

• i have a 2 1/2 year old bichon frise and i just love her to bits! i found her easy to train, very affectionate. she loves to play, but would also be just as happy to lie on your lap while watching tv. she gets too hyper and barks a lot when guests first come, but that's just her being a good guard dog. she stops barking once she's sure they're guests not intruders.i also have a maltese/cavalier king charles cross. she's also very affectionate and playful. she's only 6 months and she appears really smart and easy to train too. she doesn't bark as much as my bichon frise.

• I have a poodle mix and he is the best dog. They're rated number 2 (border collies are #1) in the top 10 smartest breeds. They're so smart.They're also extremely loyal. My dog follows me everywhere and is just very loyal to me, not so much other people, just me. He listens and follows directions very well. My dog picks up on tricks really easily, he learned 'high five' in 15 minutes just the other day :]They also tend to be very healthy dogs, not many genetic health defects of diseases or anything..They do tend to be yappy dogs, but all dogs have this tendency. You just need to train them.They're also a pain in the butt to groom. I mean, most of the dogs you named need grooming, but poodles tend to need it about every 2-3 months, depending on their coat and the cut you want. A lot of people tend to shy away from them because of their girly, floofy hair cuts, but most of the commercial cuts you see are not necessary. Just ask your groomer for a simple cut or just have them shaved. Umm..they're just all around good dogs. They were originally bred as retrievers (weird huh? a lot of people don't know that poodles are retrievers.) they were water dogs, so they have webbed toes and many poodles love playing in the water. That's also where their funny hair cuts came from. They left balls of hair around their joints to 'keep them warm' in the cold water. I also have a Yorkie and I like her but..after getting my poodle mix, I'm totally sold on them. I plan on having poodles the rest of my life. Amazing dogs :]Good luck!

• The is one dog I can tell you NOT to get, a terrier... They get tooth infections and have a lot of bone problems... You would end up spending thousands of dollars, my best friend had one.But I do have a maltese and she is soooooo cute, she is from Argentina and is the cutest thing in the world. But she is a lap dog and not the type you would want to get if you wanted a playful dog...

• Hi! I have a mix...cairn terrier/teacup poodle. She is very small, about 10 lbs. Non-shedding and so playful, not a mean bone in her body. I would advise you to get a mix breed, because I have seen and heard many bad things about purebreds. Mine is a terri-poo, but there is many very small mixed breeds. shi-poo's are very popular right now. that's shitzu/poodle. You can also get bichon/poodle mix. A friend of mine is getting one. Very nice smaller dog, non-shedding. All-around great dogs. Good luck!

• You should research each of the breeds that you like and find out which one best fits your personality. I personally breed and raise Shih tzu, and I believe they are the best toy dogs in the world. but what is perfect for me or someone else may not be the best choice for you. if you decide to go for the toy breed with a long coat, make sure that you brush it everyday...if you can't do that, but still want that breed, make sure you keep it in a puppy cut so the fur does not get too long and matted.