Can anyone tell me sorts of dogs with limited shedding, or non at all?

My girlfriend is allergic.

My girlfriend is allergic....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can anyone tell me sorts of dogs with limited shedding, or non at all?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can anyone tell me sorts of dogs with limited shedding, or non at all?

Can anyone tell me sorts of dogs with limited shedding, or non at all? Dog Breed Discussions
      My girlfriend is allergic.

Can anyone tell me sorts of dogs with limited shedding, or non at all? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Most people are ok with poodles, bichon frise or soft coated wheaten terriers. Before getting one though, your girlfriend should spend some time around one to be sure they won't bother her. I'm also told that a lot of people with allergies are not bothered by keeshonden (they're gorgeous dogs!) but I don't know for sure about that one.

• Hypoallergenic dog breeds are those touted as being hypoallergenic; that is, provoking fewer allergic reactions in allergy sufferers.There are various coat types that are said to produce fewer allergens: single-coated dogs, who do not have a thick undercoat; dogs whose coat continues to grow, like human hair, rather than shedding regularly; and hairless dogs. These breeds usually shed less dander and hair and are, therefore, considered hypoallergenic. However, even hairless dogs can produce enough dander to affect a highly allergic person.List of hypoallergenic breedsSingle-coated breeds * Afghan Hound * Basenji * Bedlington Terrier * Bichon (all types) * Bichon Frisé * Bolognese (dog) * Cairn terrier * Chinese Crested (hairless) * Coton de Tulear * Greyhound * Havanese * Irish Water Spaniel * Italian Greyhound * Kerry Blue Terrier * Lowchen * Lhasa Apso * Maltese * Poodles (all sizes) * Poodle hybrids * Portuguese Water Dog * Schnauzer (all sizes) * Shih Tzu * Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier * Yorkshire Terrier * Whippet * Native American Indian Dog * Border TerrierHairless breeds * American Hairless Terrier * Chinese Crested (hairless) * Mexican Hairless Dog (Xoloitzcuintli) * Peruvian Hairless Dog

• Single-coated dog breeds shed the least amount of any dog breed out there, and hairless dog breeds do not shed at all. Don't be fooled into thinking that short hair automatically means less shedding! Short-haired dogs shed just as much, sometimes more than long-haired breeds. It's the coat type, not the coat length that makes the difference.Most dogs shed, whether they have long hair, short hair, or heavy undercoats. A Labrador Retriever with fairly short hair can shed just as much, if not more, than a longer-haired German Shepherd or Collie. Daily brushing can help to decrease the amount of hair your see around your house and thus on your clothing. For dogs who shed seasonally, brushing may need to even be done twice daily during those times.These dogs will still shed, though the amount of hair that they shed is about as much as your own, which is barely noticeable. These are dogs who don't have much of an undercoat, and they have the type of coat the requires regular clipping. These include Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Shih Tzus and Schnauzers. Other breeds that shed little to no hair include the following: Affenpinschers, Airedale Terriers, American Hairless Terriers, Australian Terriers, Basenjis, Bedlington Terriers, Belgian Shepherd Laekenois, Bergamascos, Bichon Frises, Bichon/Yorkie mixes, Bologneses, Border Terriers, Bouvers des Flanders, Brussels Griffons, Cairn Terriers, Cesky Terriers, Chi-Poos, Chinese Cresteds, Cockapoos, Coton De Tulears, Dandie Dinmont Terriers, Doodleman Pinschers, Giant Schnauzers, Glen of Imaal Terriers, Hairless Khalas, Havaneses, Irish Terriers, Irish Water Spaniels, Italian Greyhounds, Kerry Blue Terriers, Komondors, Labradoodles, Lagotto Romagnolos, Lakeland Terriers, Lowchens, Malteses, Malti-Poos, Manchester Terriers, Mi-Kis, Miniature Poodles, Miniature Schnauzers, Norfolk Terriers, Norwich Terriers, Peruvian Inca Orchids, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens, Poos (Poodle Mixes), Portuguese Water Dogs, Pulis, Schnoodles, Scottish Terriers, Sealyham Terriers, Shepadoodles, Shichons, Silky Terriers, Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, Spanish Water Dogs, Standard Poodles, Standard Schnauzers, Tibetan Terriers, Toy Poodles, Welsh Terriers, West Highland White Terriers, Wirehaired Fox Terriers, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, and Yorkshire Terriers.

• We have allergies in the family too. We found out that standard poodles shed very lightly. The have a soft, wavy, curly coat and if you keep them on a regular grooming schedule it isn't too bad. We also have a Portugese water dog that doesn't seem to do much shedding. No problems in the allergy department. Other breeds to consider include a Schnauzer and Labradoodle (not technically considered a breed, but a cross between a lab and poodle).

• As with people, all dogs shed. Probably the least amount though would be the Chinese Crested. The Powder-Puff variety resemble a horse in that they have a mane like a horse, hair on the end of their tail and at the base of their feet. Other than that, they are just skin. Because of that, they can't stay out in the sun long or they'll get sunburned and they get cold easy. They are small indoor dogs.

• I adopted a Hairy Hairless Chinese Crested two years ago and being allergic there is no 100% sure but it work for me. This breed have only one coat of hair and just a regular brushing is sufficient for me. But the best part about him is he does not have a doggie smell ever and even when he's wet. Take your time in choosing one, make sure they or the person selling the dog will let you have him for a while before you finalized the adoption to make sure you don't have any bad allergic reaction because of him. Good Luck!P.S. a good reference on breed/breeders check http://www.akc.org

• poodles don't shed. All sizes are fine. "Labradoodles" and "Goldendoodles" are good too. They are the products of mixing the breeds of Labrador and poodle or Golden Retriever and Poodle. A largely hairless dog is a Chinese Crested..