Can anyone please tell me what kind of dogs there are that are good with kids?

I'm looking around for a dog/puppy but I'm lost on what kinds of dogs there are that are good with five-year-old kids (specifically, my little sister). Thanks!

I'm looking around for a dog/puppy but I'm lost on what kinds of dogs there are that are good with five-year-old kids (specifically, my little sister). Thanks!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can anyone please tell me what kind of dogs there are that are good with kids?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can anyone please tell me what kind of dogs there are that are good with kids?

Can anyone please tell me what kind of dogs there are that are good with kids? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm looking around for a dog/puppy but I'm lost on what kinds of dogs there are that are good with five-year-old kids (specifically, my little sister). Thanks!

Can anyone please tell me what kind of dogs there are that are good with kids? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No dog is going to be good around little kids unless they have responsible parents that keep their children under control, teach them properly, & train the dog. Your parents should be doing this research not you.

• No, every dog is different, just because one breed is generally good around kids doesn't mean every dog of that breed will fall in line with what it "should" be like. Check out your local shelters and rescues for a child friendly dog.

• try this website http://www.petplace.com/dogs/top-dog-breeds-for-families/page1.aspx. below is just what i copied and pasted from another website. However i truely believe that the dog breed isnt everything, its how you raise them. I have a pure breed akit inu. Lets just say theyre breed isnt know for being around kids but my akita is great...it was how she was raisedExcellent with KidsGolden RetrieverGreyhoundLabrador RetrieverNewfoundlandSaint BernardGood with KidsBasset HoundBeagleBearded CollieBichon FriseBorder TerrierBorzoiBoston TerrierBoxerCairn TerrierDalmatianEnglish Cocker SpanielEnglish SetterEnglish Springer SpanielGiant SchnauzerGordon SetterGreat DaneGreat PyreneesIrish SetterMiniature SchnauzerOld English SheepdogParson Russell TerrierPointerRhodesian RidgebackStandard SchnauzerModerate with KidsAfghan HoundAiredale TerrierAlaskan MalamuteAustralian CattleAustralian ShepherdBorder CollieBull TerrierBullmastiffCavalier King Charles SpanielCollieDachshundDoberman PinscherEnglish BulldogEnglish Toy SpanielFrench BulldogIrish WolfhoundLhaso ApsoMiniature PinscherMiniature PoodlePekingesePembroke Welsh CorgiPomeranianPugRottweilerShetland SheepdogStandard PoodleWeimaranerWest Highland White TerrierWhippetWire Fox TerrierYorkshire TerrierLess Suitable for KidsAmerican BulldogChihuahuaChow ChowGerman ShepherdShih TzuSiberian HuskyToy Poodle

• Some breeds are known for their patient, mellow temperaments - Labs, Goldens, Newfoundlands, and Collies pretty much top the list. Many smaller breeds can be injured by a child.That said, a child should not be left alone with a dog - for the safety of the child AND the dog.

• well i have pitbulls and i was very sceptical about them because of the media hype but i have found and did my research on them and they were actually raised to be babysitters......they passed as the number one dog (done by a survey) to have around your children..the lil yippy dogs are the worst because they feel threatend by them so they bite ..it's just never reported becaus etheir bite doesn't break the skin..none the less they bite children....i have 6 pitbulls and i wouldn't chance or trust my kids around any other breed.....they are patient.loyal.and will defend them if anyone trys to hurt them.....of course this is just a suggestion...good luck with finding your family pet...

• border collies, clumber spaniels. a lot are good with kids. i would advise a puppy so it will grow and learn to be good with kids. an already full grown dog will be a scarry thought you wont know how it will act with small kids. but i found a site that might help some. you probably should get a breed that will be medium size that way your sister cant carry it constant and drop it things like that .i have 3 kids ages 3 .5. and 10

• Golden retriever are the best. But also...LabsBull dogsAmerican eskimoBeagalcollieAnd here is the whole list. the list goes from the dog that would be best with children to dogs that would be wrost.http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/breed_profiles/dogs/sort_by_kids.htm

• The trait of being good with children isn't just a breed thing, it depends on each dogs individual personality. Almost every single dog breed can be said to be 'good with children'. Even if textbooks say otherwise, there is always the exception in a good owner who has trained their dog right. The best way to know if the dog is good for your sister is to ask the breeder, or owner, how the dog is with children, and then have your sister play around with the dog for awhile to see how they take to one another.Also, it's not just the dog. How is your sister around dogs is a big factor as well. Will she pull ears, pull the dogs tail, and overall act like the dog is a toy? If so, you shouldn't even be thinking about a dog until she gets older and realizes its a living creature.If she is polite and pets and plays properly under supervision, then just about any breed is alright.Dogs are better than puppies for kids. I would choose medium to large breed just to be safe. Good Luck!

• Children usually aren't good with dogs (not vice versa). Only get one if you/your parents are available to supervise the kid and the dog at all times. Whatever you do, stay away from all small breeds. They can be easily injured by small children, and are often afraid of them (even the friendliest small dogs). I'd look into boxers, they are high energy but gentle. Also look at goldens and collies.

• Before you start looking for a dog you have to have a family meeting about it. Talk about what size dog you have room for. Because you and your sister don't know much about dogs, you should probably talk medium sized. You have to talk about what your family can afford. Some dogs have to go to a groomer every 4 to 6 weeks that costs money, others are wash and play, if you get this kind, whos gonna wash the dog? Theres the puppy or dog question. It takes time and patience to teach a puppy to go potty outside, and they chew anything they get their mouth on for months. Or you can get an adult dog, not too old, maybe a year or two. There are groups called foster based rescues, their dogs are already housebroken they have all their shots and are fixed. Whatever you decide to do, you can see the dogs in your area at petfinder.com just click any breed, dog then put your zip code in. Now the most important thing, Your the one who asked the question, so your the one who has to make the promise. When you get your dog, you have to get down on your knees and promise him that he can rely on you, that you will love him and feed him and make sure that he has everything he needs for the rest of his life. Think about it, if you can't make that promise, wait until you can before you get a dog.