How do I make my dog know that I'm her owner?

There is this whole 'pack leader' thing and I already have two dogs which only obey to my mum so I figured out, she is the pack leader. But I'm getting my own dog, I don't want her to obey to my mum I want her to obey to me. And apparently if my dog's…

There is this whole 'pack leader' thing and I already have two dogs which only obey to my mum so I figured out, she is the pack leader. But I'm getting my own dog, I don't want her to obey to my mum I want her to obey to me. And apparently if my dog's…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I make my dog know that I'm her owner?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I make my dog know that I'm her owner?

How do I make my dog know that I'm her owner? Dog Breed Discussions
      There is this whole 'pack leader' thing and I already have two dogs which only obey to my mum so I figured out, she is the pack leader. But I'm getting my own dog, I don't want her to obey to my mum I want her to obey to me. And apparently if my dog's leader is my mum, my dog will be a dull, calm and obedient dog, not the lively, happy, mischievous dog I bought. I want my dog to be depended on ME, to ask ME for food, to obey to ME and to love me as her OWNER. Help?

How do I make my dog know that I'm her owner? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well you should tell your mum nicely to ignore your dog if he/she wants attenton. teach ur dog things normally ur mom wouldn't.do wat Cezar Millan does. :) ur dog will eventchely get the message. just wait :)

• Okay, the pack leader is the one who's in charge of everyone. That would be your parents, not you. My mom will be the alpha of my dog pack until I move out, that's just how it is.

• Well if you want her to know your alpha in the house heres what you do. Make your dog wait for her food. YOU eat first. (Thats how alpha's do it in the wild). Then she can eat. Odds are she will probably obey to everybody. Spend more time with her!! look into her eyes until she looks away! Hope I helped!

• You feed her. You train her. You take her out for walks. You give her water. You give her treats. Basically YOU take care of her, not your mother.The biggest thing is training. See if your mom will let you take an obedience class or get a book like Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Training and start working with her.Forget this pack leader alpha BS. It's a bunch of nonsense. You don't have to eat first. You don't have to "show her you're the boss" or anything of that sort. Just take care of her and make sure YOU are the only one feeding her and taking her out for walks most of the time. She'll come to rely on you because she'll know you're the one who is there taking care of her.Peter Griffin -- you show about as much sense as the character you portray as your icon. Read up on dog behavior sometime. It might do you some good.And I still say forget this pack leader alpha BS. It IS BS and any trained animal behaviorist will tell you that. I can't imagine what it must be like being your dog.

• In addition to what all these people said, which bascially covers it. There are a few more.Pat the dog's belly, he/she will lay on her back with paws in the air in the total submissive position. this is good bonding for you and the dog, and he/she is showing you submission.Also, just give her a kiss on the head--- it isnt a sign of affection to the dog like it is to humans. Its actually a sign of dominance over the dog. So, feel free to kiss her head.Those are both positive ways you can make your dog recognize you as pack leader. Most breeds will recognize the humans in the house as above them in the pack heiracrchy... most breeds will respond to multiple masters. Only a few breeds that I know of, including the Akita, the Chowchow and the Tosa Inu are "one master dogs". @Crysania- I wouldnt suggest that she forget pack leader "BS"... and "not show her youre the boss"... I suggest she keep that mentality. Have you ever owned or trained a very dominant breed Crysania? Say a 150+lb fighting breed or a guardian breed? We have a South African Boerboel male (170lbs), as well as a Malamute male (75lbs). Both breeds are intensely dominant and require a firm "alpha" to be leader. Its scary how fast they try to take the alpha from you if you forget or dont make it a habit in your house! I was sick one time, down with the flu for several days. My boerboel actually sensed this and began to get more brazen towards disobeying me, towards getting somewhat aggressive towards the malamute and my wife and myself. It is a very dumb idea to not be a pack leader when owning a super dominant breed, because they will own YOU... simple as that

• There can only be one Alpha in the household. Until you move out and live on your own, your mom will be the pack leader- whether you like it or not. That doesn't mean that your dog won't still love you and obey you. And she will ALWAYS be dependent for food on you. I do have a question though- why wouldn't you want an obedient dog? Why do you want a mischievous animals that will disobey you and get into trouble? Maybe you should reconsider getting a dog until you realize that they need proper training.

• Your mother is the pack leader because she has earned their respect through training them and requiring them to obey her. When you get a dog you will be the one who takes him to puppy class and obedience classes. You will be the one going out with him and practicing how to Heel and come when called. He will want to be with you because you will build the bond with him. When he is in the house with your mother and the other dogs he will follow what the other dogs do, which is appropriate. You don’t want him seen as an outsider by the other dogs.