My dog swallowed part of his Nyla Bone!!! HELP!?

Two night ago I noticed that his bone was almost chewed in half. It is a NYLA bone.. not a real bone. Anyway, I should have thrown it away and didn't. That night I am 95% sure he ate it. I found only half of it the next day. Every since yesterday morning…

Two night ago I noticed that his bone was almost chewed in half. It is a NYLA bone.. not a real bone. Anyway, I should have thrown it away and didn't. That night I am 95% sure he ate it. I found only half of it the next day. Every since yesterday morning…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My dog swallowed part of his Nyla Bone!!! HELP!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog swallowed part of his Nyla Bone!!! HELP!?

My dog swallowed part of his Nyla Bone!!! HELP!? Dog Breed Discussions
      Two night ago I noticed that his bone was almost chewed in half. It is a NYLA bone.. not a real bone. Anyway, I should have thrown it away and didn't. That night I am 95% sure he ate it. I found only half of it the next day. Every since yesterday morning he has not been able to go to the bathroom. Just drink and pee, drink and pee, drink and pee.. and then he has tried to go #2 many times, only water comes out. I have gave him chicken and rice, meneral oil, etc. I have not gave him a enema yet. The vet mentioned it might be bad to do that now. Any suggestions out there? He has not thrown up at all. He is still eating. He is laying down more than usuall, however played this morning with his sister. He is a 160 pound Mastiff. Help? Do I go get x rays or continue to wait it out? Any help is greatly appreciated!I am not sure it was a "Nyla" bone. It was hard plastic with little ridges on it to help clean their teeth. I have never gotten him one before but they were on sale. I knew when I bought it I made a mistake, but he loved it so much, I let him keep it. My mistake.

My dog swallowed part of his Nyla Bone!!! HELP!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Take him to the vet and get x-rays. The dog may need surgery to remove the obstruction. If this is necessary, your dog may be in a great deal of pain. You should take him to the vet. You may get lucky and be fine, but its better safe than sorry.

• If your dog is eating and not going #2 and hes not vomiting that means he probally had a obstruction in his intestines. Is his stomach bloated or when you press on his stomach does it cause him pain? If the answer to this is no, then it sounds like it is not a complete obstruction. You could still try to wait it out and it might pass on its own as the digestive tract eats away at it. The only problem with that is that you will need to keep an eye on him constantly and really wont be able to leave your house to go anywhere because once the obstruction becomes complete you will need to get him to the vet fast and at that point it will need to be an emergency vet. If it were me, i would make an appointment with my regular vet and take care of it now. p.s. it prob was not a "nylabone". Prob something very simular. I only buy nylabones and they are specifically designed to break off in only small pieces. I have owned a German Shepherd, a Bullmastiff, and a Boerboel (South African Mastiff) and I have never seen a Nylabone break off in large pieces with any of them. I could be wrong though, it could have been a flaw in the bone or your dog could have managed to break off a large piece.

• As others have noted, this calls for a vet visit. Fairly soon, too, as this could be a serious problem.But in the future you really should always know what kind of chew toy your dogs are chewing. The "little ridges on it to help clean their teeth" sounds like a greenie, which is quite different than a nyla bone (if it is a greenie, you still need to take the dog to the vet ASAP, but the treatment might be different depending).

• I was not sure by your description if you are sure that he took a big chunk and swallowed or if you just noticed that half of the "bone" was chewed away by the next morning...If chewed down, then no problem. Even with a full swallow, most of these dog items are digestable. It just a little bit and the bigger concern is actually the getting caught in the throat. Once it gets into the stomach, it is unlikely given the shape of these items that it would make it into the intestines to create a blockage.You have indicated the dog is playing and not displaying signs of distress? Try pushing on the stomach and instestinal areas and feel for bloating or tenderness. If you feel/sense any, call you vet again. You also mention that "only water comes out". Is it really water or very liquid diarrhea?Since you have been in contact with your vet, what was the recommendation?