Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs?

Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs?

Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs? Dog Breed Discussions

Is the American Pitbull really the toughest of all dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It depends on what you consider tough. Physical strength, or the ability to withstand harsh conditions? Dogs trained properly in protection work should have the drive to fight even after being attacked, and the most commonly trained protection dogs are German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinchers. It really depends on the individual dog.{{...*Spontania*...}}

• They aren't a naturally occurring breed, and they were mixed specifically to be fighters. Although they can be perfectly gentle and tame if they are raised properly, they have a hand-made tendency towards aggression. I don't know about "toughest of all dogs" but they can be very dangerous.

• That depends on your definition of tough. American Staffordshire Terrier's are very tenacious and have a high tolerance for pain, as do Bull Terriers and American Pitbull Terriers. The nature of the dog is to be protective of family at all costs, which is why it is NEVER safe to let these dogs off leash where they may encounter strange dogs. Also in their nature is a fierce loyalty to their owners and friendliness to all people.Unfortunately over the last 10 or 15 years Pitbull's and Amstaff's impression as a tough dog has ruined much of both breeds by people wanting an aggressive dog, which is not what the breed started out as.The true nature of these dogs is why I started the Yahoo! group GOODD - good owners of dominant dogs.

• It depends on what you characterize under "tough". If, for example, by "tough", you mean being an awesome physical specimen and/or capable of winning a dog or other animal fight, APBTs are the toughest of them all. They don't often start the fight, but you can bet they will finish it all the way. Although dog fighting is a nasty, bloody, horrible "sport" (not to menton illegal), it is an extremely self-rewarding activity for pit bull breeds (i.e., they're good at it, so they like it). However, if by "tough", you mean a dog who can be yelled at and punished, and still not care, APBTs are probably the least tough/tolerant. Although physically strong and tough, bully breeds are so, so sensitive emotionally. They HATE being yelled at and doing wrong. Punishment techniques do not work on these breeds, because they are physically durable enough to not feel the pain of a blow, but emotionally, physical punishment devastates them and severely weakens the bonds with their human companions. Thus, you'll have to clarify what you mean by "tough".

• Every dog in a breed are different. They all have unique personalities. Just becsause some people have trained their dog to pull on a lead doesnt make it tough, and just because it has been trained to bark doesnt mean it would have been aggressive natrually.The dog depends on how the owner raised it. Good owner = Good dog.

• My friend is a dog handler for the police and meeting a German Shepherd aka Alsatian then i think they are one of the toughest dogs around. Strong and powerful with speed and agility. Pit bulls and Staffys are strong and tough but no brains to go with it. That is just my opinion and i have a chocolate Labrador who is soft and friendly and a unpredictable aggressive dog doesn't interest me

• Not at all! Pit bulls are strong for their size, and aggressive as a breed, but DONT confuse aggression with "toughness" or in dog terms "game"APBTs are actually undersized as far as fighting dogs go and "toughest" meaning who would most likely win in a dogfight (Which I am NOT condoning in any way!) would definitely go to either a Presa Canario, Tosa Inu, Cane Corso, Bandog or a South African Boerboel. Do some research on these breeds, especially the Boerboel (which tops out at 190lbs and was bred to protect South African farmers against Lions, Elephants and Other large animals... Boerboels have been known to have the ability to kill Jaguars! Boerboel is the toughest dog I can think of out there... a mastiff with a fighting/killer instinct to protect againt LIONS, JAGUARS and ELEPHANTS! )And Bandogs (Cross between a Pit bull and a Neopolitan Mastiff... MUCH better and tougher dog than the APBT)Dr. Carl Semencic has a book out called "Gladiator Dogs" and onecalled "Pit Bulls and Tenacious Guard Dogs". read it, its GREAT!

• okay if you look up the history of the apbt then you will see that it was used for many different tasks. sucha as, bull baiting (mean in my opinon), fighting, gaurd dogs, cattle dogs, and many other things. i think they are one of the most misunderstood breeds. i have owned 2 and both have been great dogs with my dogs and strangers dogs never have any problems.

• Tough is in the eye of the beholder. Evey thing I relay here is second hand, I have never nor will I ever condone dogfighting though, with as much reading and speaking I have done about the fighting breeds it comes down to the apples and oranges argument. Fighting pitbulls are usually no more than 50 or so lbs and they are bred to be endurance animals. A pitbull fight is an endurance contest. Some matches can go on for hours. The Japanese Tosa is also a dog bred specifically for dog fighting but a much different fight. These are big, mastiff type dogs and just don't have the stamina of a smaller dog so these fights (for lack of a better word) are much shorter in length. A medium sized fighting dog like a Presa Canario is a mix of the two and the argument goes that if the pitbull can last the first few minutes against a larger dog then it becomes an endurance match more than anything. No, a pitbull against a tosa will not end in a pit beating it in under a minute. A friend of mine had two pit-bull mastiffs (pitbull-bullmastiff cross) and a tosa and she kept them separated at all times. When ever the dogs got at eachother, the pitbullmastiffs would beat up on the tosa, according to her it was no contest. She was not the type of person that should have owned these dogs. Check out Gladiator Dogs if you can find it. Good book about dogs that were originally of bloodsport origin. I think I have answered your question as you intended it.