How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece?

He just goes nuts when she is over. We try to give them equal attention. He jumps up at her and snaps at her feet and hands. It's scary. We love them both so much and are searching for an answer.

How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece?

He just goes nuts when she is over. We try to give them equal attention. He jumps up at her and snaps at her feet and hands. It's scary. We love them both so much and are searching for an answer....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece?

How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece? Dog Breed Discussions
      He just goes nuts when she is over. We try to give them equal attention. He jumps up at her and snaps at her feet and hands. It's scary. We love them both so much and are searching for an answer.

How do I stop my Airedale Terrier from nipping and jumping at my 7 month old niece? Dog Breed Discussions
    • you people are to sensitive, if he doesnt listen to comands smack him on the nose, yell at him, dont give him food that day, its not abuse, even a human when its to young cant understand things if they do not affet them directly, so a dog cant too, only affter sensing bad things on our own skin can we diferentiate them from good

• One thing that might work is if he does it, pull him out of the room and put him in another room until he calms down, then bring him back with your niece. Keep repeating this until he stops. It may take a while. Also, you can grab his face, turn him towards you, slap his nose, and say no. I couldn't do that to my dog, because I felt bad, but my dad did it to teach our dog not to bite the cats, and it worked. Also, watch shows on Animal Planet, such as It's Me or the Dog. There's lots of good training tips on that show. :) Good luck!

• Um yeah...no hitting. Creating a bad association with your niece will only lead to bigger problems in the long run (like defensive biting). Terriers often have high prey drives, and to the dog, your little niece is a toy, something small to chase. Your best bet is to teach "Leave It!" using positive reinforcement. You need to be able to turn the dog's focus away from chasing, and on to you. In fact, the more commands you can teach your dog to reliably follow (Sit, Down, Come, Watch, etc), the more control you'll have. Your dog can't both chase and sit/stay at the same time. What he's doing now is not aggression. He's just excited, and is acting like most terriers would when presented with something small and moving. So your job is to control those urges by giving him another activity to do. NOT by making him defensive by "smacking him". There's no excuse for hitting a dog.